588,655 active members*
5,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Upgrading a Denford MicroMill?

Upgrading a Denford MicroMill?

Hi, I just purchased a Denford MicroMill at a school surplus auction. The unit looks practically new. I did not get any software for it at the auction, but did email Denford and they told me that this particular machine ran on DOS. I would like to convert this machine to a Windows based software so I can have more control of the designs that I create. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as upgrading this machine? I would imagine I would need a new controller card ( Currently it has a SmartStep3 board.) Does anyone have an electronic version of a manual for this unit? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Denford MicroMill

Hi,

Does your Denford MicroMill have eight wire steppers?

Most of them do, if so the least expensive reliable three axis driver board with current reduction would be the Hobby CNC Pro $79.00
    http://tinyurl.com/4ex37s

Mach III Mill runs with WinDoz the eval is free and runs 250 lines of Gcode
    http://www.machsupport.com/

Jeff Alessi

If you have what I think you have, the Smartstep unit should work fine for you, you'll just need the software like Mach3. The Smartstep3 controller is actually pretty modern and even has feedback I think, and the steppers should be modern square frames as well.
    I would certainly try to get the hardware you have to work first, as you might not need to replace the electronic portion - it is an added expense and you would likely be replacing it with inferior hardware anyway if you went with a budget hobby controller. That and it may be deceptively easy if it is what I think.
    The trick is to figure out at least the step and direction signal inputs. Even with only that you are golden, even if you don't try to later hook up advanced stuff like the feedback system. It shouldn't be hard, and I think you may only need a simple breakout board and Mach3 to then interface with the system.

First off, try to find the manual for it online. If you can't find the answer you need, you can always post the info here and let us take a crack at it. Pictures of the unit would also help. That and any data you can glean online about the original DOS program it might have used, as I think it ran through the parallel using standard step/dir signals anyway, if with a bit of a weird pulse length. If it did you don't need anything else but Mach at that point, and we can even write the Mach config file for you based on that.

If it is as easy as I think you should be running in no time with the hardware you have in place.

Thanks for the information. I will open the back case and take a look to see if it is an 8 wire model. Attached is a picture of the unit. Thanks Again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0250.JPG  

That looks like a Sherline?

100% Sherline Chassis For Sure

100% Sherline Chassis For Sure

Inside of the unit

Here is a photo of the inside of the unit. I am going to try to run the DOS version that Denford had on thier website to see if I can get it to respond.
    I have looked at the HobbyCNC version of the controller board. The SmartStep3 is a 3 axis board, so hopefully I can get it to work without a huge amount of costs. I am not sure if it is Sherline. There is no indication on the system that tells me it is similar. However it does look like one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill_inside.jpg  

Bblosser,

I am almost sure what you have is a serial driven controller by looking at the picture that you provided.

Most likely it is not going to work with Mach III, maybe someone else will chime in with some better information however if you want to get up and running quickly you may just bite the bullet and purchase a new driver board such as the Hobby CNC or the Gecko's.

Be prepared to spend as much on the Gecko's as you spent on your entire mill though.

Jeff...

Break Out Board

Dblosser,

If you decide to use Gecko's you will also need an inexpensive break out board "BOB"
    See the attached link below.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Bidirectional_Breakout_Board.htm

The Hobby CNC has a built in interface so a "BOB" is not required with it.

Dont worry you will have it running in less than a day.

Jeff...

Thanks jalessi,
    I think I will go ahead and try the HobbyCNC pro board. It is too good of a machine to not give it a try for $80.00. The motors on it are 8 lead motors, they are VEXTA PK266-E2.0A Unipolar 2 A/phase. I will post back once I get it setup. Thanks again for all your help.