587,615 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Hardware store designed , all metal, Desktop wide router for review
Page 1 of 2 12

Hardware store designed , all metal, Desktop wide router for review

This design has influences form Glaciarwonders design, Widgetmaster’s wide router, and uses some parts and ideas from CNCRouterparts.com. It’s a combination of aluminum angle (1x1x1/4) and steel flat plates for the frame and rails. Steel angles and skate bearings would be used for the linier motion, except for the z axis, which uses 2 linier carriages from CNCRouterparts. It’s about 22 inches wide and 16 inches deep. For now , it has a y travel of around 8 inches(/to infinity) and X travel around 16 inches. Z is about 5 inches.
    Once built, it’s first job will be to mill out replacements for the current gantry beams which restricts Y travel .

I’m hoping it’ll have the strength needed to work a good bit in aluminum and copper. I still need to work out the mounting for an acme screw or ballscrew etc…
    The biggest draw back to this design is the amount of drilling and metal cutting to be done. I’m calculating about 150 holes before all is said and done.
    I think I have enough reinforcement for a really solid build. I’m probably going to draw a design based on 80/20 and price it. My only concerns with 80/20, since it’s my first build, if I mess up on a beam I’d have to wait for the next piece. With this design, if I mess up a cut or some holes, all I need is 6 bucks and a trip to lowes.

I’m attaching the sketchup file if you’d like to review it more closely. I’m really concerned about the Z axis, since it’ll only be supported from the front. I’m contemplating about designing a Z axis that is supported on two rails that straddle the gantry from the front and back.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. I’m also looking for guidance on acme and balls screws. Where to place them and what parts go in what order. What all I need etc to really complete this design..

This is a rough draft so not all the holes have been made. Some need to be replaced.

I hope you guys like it.

Thanks, Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg   Untitled3.jpg   top.jpg   X axis.jpg  

Y axis.jpg   Untitled2.jpg  

Sketchup file
    Attached Files Attached Files

So what's up guys? Did I design a jalopy? Any suggestions?

Awesome design idea... different then any I've seen. How much do you think the structure would set you back? Maybe this could be a more cost effective alternative to 8020.. that stuff is pretty pricey. And like you said if a piece gets messed up it's easy enough to get another one.

My machine is about the same size the 8020 for it cost me 550 not including shipping..

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jwillhite View Post
    Awesome design idea... different then any I've seen. How much do you think the structure would set you back? Maybe this could be a more cost effective alternative to 8020.. that stuff is pretty pricey. And like you said if a piece gets messed up it's easy enough to get another one.

My machine is about the same size the 8020 for it cost me 550 not including shipping..

-Josh
    I haven't done and exact cost look up. But Angle aluminum runs about $7.00 per 42 or 46 inches. Hot or cold rolled steel is cheap enough. I'm guessing the structure part would be around 100.00 to 130ish(bearings and all). Once I finalize the design, then I'm going to look to fine tune it to make the most of the cuts I'll need to make.

Did you see any problem areas?

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post

Did you see any problem areas?
    I think the gantry should be riding on two sets of bearings, but to get the same travel, you'd need to increase the length. I'd also drive the gantry from both sides, or you may get some racking.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

[QUOTE=ger21;536024]I think the gantry should be riding on two sets of bearings, but to get the same travel, you'd need to increase the length. I'd also drive the gantry from both sides, or you may get some racking.[/QUOTE

Anyway you could circle the trouble areas you are talking about? I'm still not fully up to speed on the cnc lingo. I'm thinking you are talking about the Y axis.

Something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled2.jpg  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Something like this.
    Thanks Gery. Before I build the whole thing I'm going to build one rail as a test. I also have an idea of extending a lead bearing that would be centered on the top and bottom. I'm worried about getting all my whole drill to an exact placement.

Instead of using two, the extended bearing would probably do the trick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extended.jpg  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I hear ya. Kinda give it less leverage. I'm working on a revision now where I incorporate a longer bearing, yet keep the travel.

Thanks again for your suggestion. It made me look at it a different way. (nuts) It'll take me a day or two to get some time to work on it but in the revision I should gain nearly all the workable space on the x axis.

Shoot, I'm going to go buy me a drill press tomorrow. I have a cnc machine to make! :rainfro:

Only thing I wonder about is how you are going to keep stuff from between the plate and bearings. Wood bits and stuff is going to fall on that plate flat area and be mashed around..

b.

I would have a concern that the flat plates on each side would collect matereial that has been cut making it difficult or impossible for the bearings to roll. If these side plates were placed in the verticle plane they would be difficult to flex up and down and a much smaller area to make a "wiper" of some sort to get the collected chips off.

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Only thing I wonder about is how you are going to keep stuff from between the plate and bearings. Wood bits and stuff is going to fall on that plate flat area and be mashed around..

b.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ View Post
    I would have a concern that the flat plates on each side would collect matereial that has been cut making it difficult or impossible for the bearings to roll. If these side plates were placed in the verticle plane they would be difficult to flex up and down and a much smaller area to make a "wiper" of some sort to get the collected chips off.
    You guys are right on the money. I still need to work out the particulars and reinforcements but looks like I'll be solving the racking problem and the particle problem by moving the rails underneath. Check out the picture of the work in progress to get an idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc low.jpg  

V2

OK, here is an updated version. It should handle any racking problems or debris on the rail and bearings. It's not in the pictures but I plan to use an extra brace on the bearings. Possibly a boxed triangle if they sell those at lowes. If not just a plane steel brace.

I left out the Z axis as I'm still working on it. I really need to find a way to keep the strength but reduce the amount of reinforcement. Trying to reduce my work load. I'm thinking the bottom side is way over done.

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side.jpg   top.jpg   back.jpg   bottom.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

A quick updated. I've updated my design a little since I last posted but not enough to post new pictures or files. I'm getting close to ordering some metal and parts and starting a separate build thread.

Anyways, has anyone ordered from All metals inc? I know there customer service was fast responding to me earlier when I emailed, a good sign, but I was wondering if anyone on the zone has ordered from them before? Since they cut to size for no real additional cost from what I can tell, it would save me a ton of time ordering from them.

How is it going, have you established a building thread yet?
    I think your design looks really good, dont think you can really make it to solid! It is better to use a couple of aluminum angles to much than to little.
    What kind of spindle do you intend to use?

regards
    Chris

A quick updated. I've updated my design a little since I last posted but not enough to post new pictures or files. I'm getting close to ordering some metal and parts and starting a separate build thread.

Anyways, has anyone ordered from All metals inc? I know there customer service was fast responding to me earlier when I emailed, a good sign, but I was wondering if anyone on the zone has ordered from them before? Since they cut to size for no real additional cost from what I can tell, it would save me a ton of time ordering from them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrugel View Post
    How is it going, have you established a building thread yet?
    I think your design looks really good, dont think you can really make it to solid! It is better to use a couple of aluminum angles to much than to little.
    What kind of spindle do you intend to use?

regards
    Chris
    Before I reply, with your ingenuity you may just know, how can I punch the exact spot I want to drill on metal? I'd really like to get the spot narrowed down to .01mm

Thanks for the compliments. I agree with you on the too solid bit but it does need to be light enough for me to move it in and out the house. I live in a town house so my back patio is my garage The house I had before had three covered carports and I never built a dang thing. Now that I don't have a car port or a garage I find myself rebuilding engines and installing turbo's in the parking lot. lol

A build thread is coming. I had a break through of sorts on my z axis last night that I may apply to my y axis too. For the third weekend in a row, I hope to finalize my design this upcoming weekend...haha

I'll probably start ordering parts around the end of next week and start a build thread. I'm going to also be doing a blog of the build on it on Icrontic.com. I hope to post some youtube video as instructions as well. IN a lot of ways I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel for nothing. Bot when I pull out the calculator and start crunching numbers I think I'm on the right track.

Chris

I don't know if i'm the right person to ask about precision, I have no mechanical education at all. everything i know comes from this place ( Thank you all!) and from my own trial and error. What i would do if i need precision i would use a caliper and center drill bit and then the actual drill bit. But in your case that wont work since a caliper does not give you 0.01mm precision. So i honestly dont really know what you should do, unless you have a cnc machine?
    Anyway, why the high precision? If you drill the holes 0,5 mm to big you have the option to align the pices afterwards. Thats what i did since i have no means to achive such precision when drilling.

I also wanted to make it a one man lift, but now that is history, i'm hoping to be within a heavy two man lift. I think all in all I'm ending at about 100kg. I live in a small house where my room is a cold external room. That is the reason for the slow progress at the time. Winter, -9 degrees c and precision cnc making is not a good combination! Spent the last couple of weekend isolating so hopefully I'm soon able to continue my work.

Thank you for the pointer towards sketchup! I think I'm starting to get it now!

Good luck with the build.

regards
    chris

Before I reply, with your ingenuity you may just know, how can I punch the exact spot I want to drill on metal? I'd really like to get the spot narrowed down to .01mm

Thanks for the compliments. I agree with you on the too solid bit but it does need to be light enough for me to move it in and out the house. I live in a town house so my back patio is my garage The house I had before had three covered carports and I never built a dang thing. Now that I don't have a car port or a garage I find myself rebuilding engines and installing turbo's in the parking lot. lol

A build thread is coming. I had a break through of sorts on my z axis last night that I may apply to my y axis too. For the third weekend in a row, I hope to finalize my design this upcoming weekend...haha

I'll probably start ordering parts around the end of next week and start a build thread. I'm going to also be doing a blog of the build on it on Icrontic.com. I hope to post some youtube video as instructions as well. IN a lot of ways I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel for nothing. Bot when I pull out the calculator and start crunching numbers I think I'm on the right track.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12