587,661 active members*
3,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Helping my husband:)

I am helping my husband do some research for a school report he is writing on coolants. I feel like I need a little more information on them though. Are coolants and cutting fluids the same thing? He is in his last week of his machine tooling program and writing his last report on coolants. I am trying to find some good resourses and to be honest not being a machinist myself it is hard because I don't know what I am talking abuot. Any suggestions? Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong place.

Research the names of different commercial coolants and then go to their web sites. Most of them will have a Technical Information area on the site that has all sorts of useful info for writing reports.

For example, try Koolmist:

http://www.koolmist.com/

Look up on the nav bar at the top and go to the Tech Area and go through all the articles. Not every manufacturer will have much deep info. You'll have to go through a bunch.

As you're looking at these, jot down keywords to use in Google to broaden your search. Just entering "Coolant" will deliver a lot of hits, as I'm sure you've already noted.
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Have you Googled? Although you may be inundated with hits.

Coolant and cutting fluid are often used interchangeably but they are not really synonymous. Coolants are most commonly some form of oil based lubricant mixed with emulsifiers so they are miscible in water and form an emulsion. Cutting fluids are used straight and are not miscible with water.

TRy Googling using words like cutting oil, synthetic cutting oil, Hangsterfer, Blaser (or Blaser), Dromus, and you should start finding some information.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have tried google. Thats how I found this forum Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep checking back as I am busy researching.

Hi Pmelrose

This one you will find to be the most Environmentally friendly of all the cutting fluids & good to write a report about.

http://www.greencut.com/
    Mactec54