588,616 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile First attempt aluminum cnc router

Hello all, I've been browsing this site for a couple months now, but as my machine actually starts to come together I thought I might post what I'm building. I started off designing an MDF machine, ordered the screws/rails/linear bearings etc. and a xylotex 3 axis kit. Then at work one day a good size t-slot constructed "machine" came up for grabs, so I jumped on that (for free) and started the design phase all over again. The size and shape of my router table was somewhat dictated by the sizes of the extrusions I had to work with, it was alot like playing with lego to get the right size and shape that I wanted. (I didn't want to cut too many parts because most pieces already have end connectors built in, so there's no need for "L" brackets or anything to attach 2 extrusions together.) I was able to match the size of the table pretty close to the size of screws and rails I had already ordered. The PC and xylotex electronics are mounted in a large hammond enclosure that I got for free with the "machine". The monitor stand may change, I was simply playing with blocks trying to see what might work, it's not as rigid as I would like. The router table itself is ROCK SOLID.
    For a size reference the length of the table is about 45" (size of the table itself, not the rails or travel and not including the monitor stand) It still needs alot of work, but atleast it looks like something now. The mdf piece supporting the gantry will be replaced with a 1/2x6x30" aluminum bar/plate once the machine can drill the holes for it. So there will be a few mdf pieces in the initial build, and the machine's first task will be to cut aluminum replacements (if it's capable with the mdf parts inplace). The design is based on the parts I have to work with, and the ideas and pictures I've seen on this site and the net. So any tips/ideas/feedback or CONSTRUCTIVE critisism would be nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.jpg   cnc2.jpg   cnc3.jpg   cnc4.jpg  

cnc5.jpg  

Looks as though you will have a good machine when you finish

I was thinking joes mdf at first too

but then I saw ITEM which is something like you are using http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35996 is the thread for it.

Keep up the great work.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the link.
    That's quite the impressive machine you've built.
    The only weak link I see in my machine sofar is the main axis rails, I'll have to find a way to support them in the center.
    I love the way your signs turned out, by painting the board before cutting. Did you have any flaking/chipping of the paint at the edges of the cuts?