588,275 active members*
6,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The A word in G76

Hello... I am a retired teacher. Spent some time teaching "early" CNC Gcodes.
    I have a question about modern machines: Since the new machines are so tight with ball screws do you still program the threading angle at 29 degrees? It seems to me that the machines I have watched threading are cutting both sides of the thread equally (read chips curling from both sides) and both the leading and back sides finish rather nicely and at high speed. I looked it up and found the G76 cycle which uses the A word for tool angle. That is not the same as setting an old compound lathe to 29 degrees is it?

Thanks for reading

Ron

Yes, you can. 29 degrees. 30 degrees. 0 degrees. Several lead in options. Modern machines also have different cutting patterns available. Yes, it is basically the same as setting a compound angle on a manual lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Yes, you can. 29 degrees. 30 degrees. 0 degrees. Several lead in options. Modern machines also have different cutting patterns available. Yes, it is basically the same as setting a compound angle on a manual lathe.

Thanks! things have come a long way. I wonder still how many people programing turning centers use the old way because like I said I go to shows and they are cutting threads on both sides of the tool and getting really nicely finished parts. Do you do that? We had a Haas and just threaded straight on. The machine was pretty new but that was 15 years ago.