588,591 active members*
11,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: End Mills

End Mills

I am in the process of setting my end mills/cutters into TTS tooling. Along with the tools I also have the mfgs spec sheets. I realize just with the tools I have already it is going to be hard to remember later what tool came from where, except for obvious differences such as indexable tools ect.

Anybody got a good way of keeping up with this information especially when dealing with smaller cutters? Or should I just go by typical speed/feed charts?

I've been asking myself the same question and I guess after you have more than 20 different brands, you'd need to start marking them. Problem with markering them is the ink will eventually rub off and then what...

I was thinking about etching the bottom flat on my cutters and even making a cutters tool table, but haven't got that far yet.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    I've been asking myself the same question and I guess after you have more than 20 different brands, you'd need to start marking them. Problem with markering them is the ink will eventually rub off and then what...

I was thinking about etching the bottom flat on my cutters and even making a cutters tool table, but haven't got that far yet.
    It is worth the time to organize your tooling. I don't keep all of it in TTS holders (don't have enough) but I do catalog it all on a spreadsheet with Price, Vendor and part number. That way I can always find a replacement if needed and I keep good track of my purchase history for everything.

Right now everything is in a cardboard box that I'm not using with zip-lock bags with parts marked but I'm going to build a wood tooling rack one of these days. I figured I'd mark it with numbers and keep it all in a tool-table like organization because my tool library is quickly growing.

I won't have every tool in a TTS either, just for the simple fact it's too expensive. Probably my most used tools and then for a job.

Using Excel would probably be good. Not sure how to mark those pesky ity bitty bits though.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    I won't have every tool in a TTS either, just for the simple fact it's too expensive. Probably my most used tools and then for a job.

Using Excel would probably be good. Not sure how to mark those pesky ity bitty bits though.
    Drill holes in a chunk of wood. Number them with a Sharpie and have that indexed to the spreadsheet. At least that is my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    Drill holes in a chunk of wood. Number them with a Sharpie and have that indexed to the spreadsheet. At least that is my plan.
    Unfortunately I am prone to knocking things over But that would probably work as long I can encase them as well.

At the moment I have my cutters numbered and then stored in Plano plastic boxes. The TTS holders and bits go into a wooden rack. A spreadsheet keeps track of things. One just has to return things to their proper place once a job is complete. Of course there are never enough cutters or holders....

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    At the moment I have my cutters numbered and then stored in Plano plastic boxes. The TTS holders and bits go into a wooden rack. A spreadsheet keeps track of things. One just has to return things to their proper place once a job is complete. Of course there are never enough cutters or holders....
    NOt a bad idea on the boxes... Will keep them from banging around as well. Yea, already gathering to many cutters.

I just took a 2" X12" X 18" piece of wood and drilled an array of 3/4" holes. Then used a sharpie pen to number the holes. The TTS tools go in the holes. Each TTS tool is numbered using a felt tip DYKEM® BRITE MARK marker http://supplyhero.com/DYKEMBriteMark.1344.1.htm . For me, there is no need for a spreadsheet as the Mach's tool table takes care of the details. Also the Procunier tapping head has an assortment of quick change tap holders, each with a different size tap and each one has its own tool number entered into Mach’s tool table. Same with the Tormach tension compression tap head with its assortment of quick change tap holders. I have about 50 tools entered into the Mach tool table. Most TTS tool holders are inexpensive (e.g. set screw holders at < $24) if you don’t count the ER collet types (I have four of those). And yes you can’t have too many TTS holders.

Don

@Don

Good ideas.. have you noticed the marker stays on after coolant and oil has been used for a while? If so then that is the route I will go.

I haven't looked at the Tool library yet on M3, but plan too soon. I don;t see a problem using that as long as I can remember to back it up regularly. Since Tormach recommends not keeping that computer on a network I would have to physically remember to do it.

What I want to keep is the default dimensions, radius length ect. Guess it makes since to rely on M3 then just back fill into the CAM software.

Lot's of ideas....

And I had not thought about the cost of setscrews TTS, they are cheaper. Have you noticed any problems with the tol offset as mentioned by Tormach by using the setscrew holder? I have about 5-6 setscrew holders and probably 10 or so collets already (converted Maritools as well).

The Dykem metal marking seems to be durable enough.

The key for me to using inexpensive TTS setscrew holders is to use those holders for uses where runnout does not matter much e.g. spot drill that is somewhat intolerant to runnout in its function of spotting for centering subsequent drill operations. I use the more expensive ER collet TTS tool holders in cases where runnout is critical e.g critical endmills. For me there are many cases where inexpensive TTS set screw holders are appropriate.

BTW I don’t network the computer that runs the Tormach. The computer is dedicated to just running Mach3 and exclusively used for controlling the Tormach. Backing up the Tormach dedicated computer is by sneaker net with a thumbdrive. Works for me. YMMV I have four computers going and three are networked using non-wireless gigabit ethernet. Two are running XP 32 bit ( the Tormach dedicated unit and another computer used to listen to music with) Another one is running Windows 7-32 bit and a 3.3Ghz Xeon quad core workstation running windows 7-64 bit used for Solidworks 2010 and SprutCam7. Each of the Windows7 computers has an external 1T byte external harddrive used for backup.

Don

Here's what I wanting to make, just wish I owned that many cutters.... 80

Thanks for the photos... that is what I will do, except I will probably follow Don's suggestion on the PEN for marking and all of my tools like that will be on TTS. I will be doing some rapid prototyping so the less setup time I have the better, I will just plan on buying a TTS holder each time I order a cutter.

You may have seen the other posts, but this tool http://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders...duct_info.html is a fraction of Tormachs cost and easy to adapt to TTS. Being a RC airplane adict the epoxy part is a snap

No problem.

"I will be doing some rapid prototyping so the less setup time I have the better, I will just plan on buying a TTS holder each time I order a cutter.
    "

Wow awesome find !!! Keep me up to date on how that works out, I really want to buy more collet holders to fill in the tool table.

They work great already have 4 made up and about to order some more. I think I got that tip from Don or someone on another thread.

You will need the kit from Tormach at the bottom of this page for about $8.

http://www.tormach.com/Product_TTS_misc.html

Only problem is they require different wrenches to assemble than the Tormach's but that is only a inconvenience when assembling them which you would only do once - in theory