587,275 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC-mill controller.. which?

Hi all,
    Till now i use a EaziCNC M640 controller which has it all. But when i program a speed of, let's say 20mm/sec: straight lines maintain this speed but when it comes to curves or circles it reduces down to practicaly zero!! This does burn the material at that place and the mill.
    I think of replacing this controller but i can't find what... Things i really want this controller to do or have:
    - serial (RS232) or USB input
    - Manual feedrate overide (potentiometer or encoder)
    - up to 4 outputs for stepper-drivers (step/direction 5V TTL)
    - maintain programmed mill travelspeed on every move (circular or straight)
    - input for optical encoders from steppermotors (512 cpr balanced outputs)
    - emergency stop (NO/NC available)
    - G-Code
    - simple manual control input (just switches preferred)
    - with program to set all parameters
    - 12V/5V supply preferred
    - small
    - not too expensive

Any suggestions??

Your problem probably has to do with the acceleration properties of your software. I'm not familiar with your hardware.

I'm partial to Xylotex and Gecko hardware due to the popularity and overall reliability and performance. Plenty of user support, and they work flawlessly with Mach 2/3 software. Xylotex is pretty much limited to NEMA23 sized motors, around 260oz-in of torque and smaller. They have a complete 4-axis kit with motors and 24v PS for roughly the price as four Gecko G201s. Geckos are great when used to control large steppers up to 1800 oz-in.

Both are best used with a parallel port breakout boad. If you don't have a parallel port on your computer, you can add a $10.99 "Syba" brand PCI to Parallel card.

If you want a closed loop stepper system, consider this card from Rogers Machine. http://www.rogersmachine.net/encoderinterface.html