588,251 active members*
4,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

VMC in basement?

Hi, I want to put a small VMC in my basement so I can learn and play. Is that realistic? cosidering coolant, noise, power. I will be milling Aluminum 99% of the time. I do have a big and 10' ceiling unfurnished basement.

A small VMC.

I don't know how many axis I want. I figure if I use 3 axis, I have to turn the part manually because I have milling on at least 4 sides. It is a box shaped part). 4"x4"x4", I need to cut the inside out and leave .1" edge. But the edge will not be evenly 0.1", it will have some complex shapes. Is it worthwhile to go 4 or 5 axis?

Is there a conversion process I can do to transfer pro-E file directly to machine code that the VMC understand? So it can figure out the tooling and cutting automatically? Is that different for different brand VMC?

thanks
    -Andrew

"IT" dosn't figure out the tooling and cutting ...You do
    A 5 axis machine is not going in your basement. It weighs in excess of 15000lbs and costs well over $200k
    The software to program is costs in excess of $15k depending on the program . The software to design with is another $5k
    Power will be about 100 amps of 220v 3ph
    I have a suspision this ain't goin into a basement
    Jim

mini-mill

There is mini-mill that has 4th axis and ATC. That will fit the size and power range. Houses are usually 200AMP.

I am also considering a bridgeport with 3axis CNC, I can add a 4th axis later. But don't like to change tools. What is your experience on changing tools?

How do you plan on getting this down into your basement? its gonna weigh at least a ton if not more if your looking at something like a haas mini mill(probalby a couple tons)

If your running Pro/e, check and see if when you click new, the dialog box for part, drawing, form, etc comes up and see if you see manufacture or manufacturing. That is a cam package, although it is quite difficult to learn from what I am told. I looked at it for about 5 mins and gave up

You would need a cam package if you dont use that one or dont have that one to program your parts.

Jon

mini-mill weighs 1.5metric ton.

The cement should be able to hold it.
    I have a slider door that should be wide enough to move it in.
    If not, I can always put it in the garage.

Bad decision not to build a 3 garage house.

I have a Haas Mini that is wired for a fourth but I have my fourth on my Matsuura
    The Haas weighs 3200 lbs and requires I believe 40 amps of 220v 1ph
    I have a 60 amp service supporting that machine. It's height at max Z is something like 108 or 109 inches but there ain't no way you're taking this machine down any stairs.
    It would work just fine if you had a daylight basement, and tall ceilings
    And 6" thick concrete flooring to keep it stable
    Lots of people have BP style cnc's in their basements and run them from rotary phase converters, but they aren't very rigid, don't have much spindle and I'm not sure if you can get a fourth for one to work in full fourth mode
    Jim

What is your experience on changing tools?

Every one hates it, or fibbing
    If you have a ATC option available, get it, you will never regret it.

That being said, there are many, many people running non ATC mills, changing tools is just another part of the machining process, one just does it and goes on.

Ken

My shop is in my basement. Works out very well. I have three lathes (one is CNC), two mills (one is CNC), drill press, tool grinder, surface grinder, EDM, welder, torch, and many misc. tools. Takes up the whole basement exept for the furnace and water heater. Just make sure you have a way to vent fumes and put in sound deadening is you have an SO that minds the noise.

My CNC mill doesn't have a tool change, wish I had one. Wish I'd bought a Bridegeport series 1 or 2 with a tool changer. The control on these BOSS machines is crap so the machine goes cheap. The iron is great, so you get a good machine inexpensively if you have the time to retrofit.

Karl

My basement is first floor

My basement is first floor, they call it walk-out basement. I have to walk up stairs to reach my living space first floor. It has a 2-window slider like the one you have in your kitchen. Don't know about the stability. The basement floor feel pretty solid to me. I jump up and down on it and don't feel the house rocking.

-Andrew

I jump up and down on it and don't feel the house rocking

That should work then

Most floors are pored about 4", you can drill a hole some where inconspicuous and check the depth.

4" should be sufficient for 3-4K lb machine.

Ken

I am biased because I own two of them but based on your requirements I would suggest something like a Haas Super MiniMill with the extended Z clearance and 4th axis. It is possible to fit the Haas HRT210 rotary table on this machine and have a rotating fixture, something like a horizontal tombstone, that spans the entire 16inches of X travel with the extended Z clearance giving plenty of room. Note the Z travel stays the same it is just the clearance above the table.

This machine needs a ceiling height of about 9 feet 6 inches to operate and can be squeezed through a doorway 8 feet high and just over 5 feet wide. It weighs around 6000 lbs and needs 3 phase 208-240 V. supply at 40 amps. You would need a rotary phase converter. This machine has a 10000 rpm spindle, fast rapids and a fast tool changer. You can get the Haas MiniMill with a 6000 spindle, slower rapids and a slower toolchanger and this runs on 240 single phase at 40 amps.

Regarding the comments about floor strength I have one of my machines in a home workshop with a 3" to 4" concrete floor. I put the machine on 6" square pads 1/2" thick with the pads resting on high density foam to spread the load evenly on the concrete and it seems fine.

how do you move the VMC?

For those who have mill in your basement, how did you move the 3400lb bridgeport or VMC into and arround your basement?
    I saw some cheap bridgeports with xyz CNC and don't know what to do after I buy them?

For starter, I don't know if I should look into bridgeports with XYZ CNC retrofitted for go for some VMC with tool changer. Please advise.

thanks
    Andrew

Others can not guess what it is that you want to do.

The machine doesn't make the parts - you do. The machine doesn't think - you do.

Changing tools is not really a chore - if you think it is, then I am going to guess that machining isn't your thing.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

The smaller Haas's can be moved with a pallet jack, my Bridgeport clone and a lathe that I had to move to another room to make room for the Haas were outfitted with simple HD caster wheels and just rolled into place, jacked up one end at a time and then the wheels removed.

Ken

Changing tools is not really a chore - if you think it is, then I am going to guess that machining isn't your thing.

Andrew,
    In spite of Scott's personal view of what a "chore" and 'your thing" is, it is still OK for some aspects of machining to be dis-liked and to still enjoy machining with out the necessity of it being "your thing".

Machining is not "my thing" yet I enjoy it a great deal.

Ken

Ken,

Do you have a mini-haas? or any mini VMC?
    I cannot decide if I want to get a mini-vmc with ATC or a knee BP with XYZ CNC fitting.

-Andrew

Actually I have the Haas TM-1 with 10 tool ATC, here is a pic of it when first moved in. There is also a coolant enclosure that is not installed in this picture.

I liked the openness that I was familiar with on the Bridgeport but if I had to do it all over I would likely go for the Mini-Mill. There is a bit less X available but more often then not you don't use what is available. Also the Mini-Mill start at max of 6000 rpm where the TM-1 max is 4000rpm. The TM-1 has 200IPM rapids and the Mini I believe has something like 650ipm rapids. As equipped there is not a great deal of price difference. I know one fellow that wanted the openness of the TM-1 but the rpm and faster rapids of the Mini, so he just removed most of the sheet metal enclosure, looks really good. There is a reason for only 200IPM in the Haas TM-1, things moving at 650 or faster can hurt you.

If you can financially cut it I would look for a good used VMC over the CNC'd BP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haas.jpg  

cool

I love your toy!!! That will be my goal.

Will drive my wife crazy if I move this mammoth into my basement or garage.

Can you tell me how/where can I get a mini-vmc or TM-1 used? And how much should I prepare? And what should I look for when I go shopping?

Do they usually comes with tools/collet?

Welcome to PM me.

thanks
    Andrew

Even for ATC, you have to zero for every tool. That takes a lot of time. Is there any ways to make that process easier?

If I need to work on different sides, I need to turn the part and redo the zero for xy, and z for all the tools. I don't know how much time the ATC can save?
    Changing tools might be just a small portion?

Is ATC holder different for different maker?

Is fixturing a big pain for CNC if you need to make multiple identical parts. For one of two parts, it might be easier with a BP?

you only need to zero the tools once, and you would do that anyway before you run the part even if you didnt have a tool changer.

you wouldnt want to re-zero it, you would setup some sort of stop or locating pins or something like that. ATCs save a lot of time because you wouldnt have to watch the machine, just press go and even walk away(if you know for sure nothing will crash or break)

Fixturing is pretty simple. I have run up to 25 fixtures on one time before.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12