587,770 active members*
3,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > linear slides X-axis single side or dual?

linear slides X-axis single side or dual?

I am wanting to update my gantry on a 6 y/o plasma table.

Currently I use cam followers on both sides of my 10ft. table. Accurracy stinks as most can guess.

Here is what I would like to do:

1. Use 2-Hiwin 35mm bearings & rail for my X-axis to travel on.

2. The opposite side will float. The Y-axis span = 65"

3. The gantry will be made of 3" 80/20. T pattern or 2 column "double I" beam.

I believe deflection using the 2 linear bearings 24" on center ,for the X-axis mind you, will be more than enough?

What say you?

I would agree with you on that assessment....so, what stinks with your current configuration....

ViperTX,

I need to post some pictures in that they will tell my story much better than me.

My gantry profile is that of a capital "I" laid on its side. I have 0.75" OD cam follower CF bearings on each end of the horizontal legs of the "I"..... the legs that parallel the X-ais. Eight CF in total.

These bearings track against 1.0" CRS that is opposes each other on my table.

Installing these 2 pieces of square stock so that they are exactly parallel to one another is very difficult. This coupled with my gantry design make keeping each of the CF bearings tight against the square stock very hard to do.

I drive the gantry using a 82 oz/in stepper 3:1 ratio and use a 0.75" drive sahft to drive both side of the gantry.

Hopefully my story is a little bit easier to follow

Thanks!

Tom