588,490 active members*
4,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Please tell me I am on the right path??

Please tell me I am on the right path??

I am in the process of retrofitting a Bridgeport Series 1 BOSS 3 CNC machine. The iron itself is in great shape and has very little usage on it.

I am using Gecko drives, using the original NEMA 42 steppers. 65vdc 20 amp power supply, and a Campbell Designs controller board.

I figure the original computer cabinet (the one hanging off to the right side) at about 410lbs, and the power supply cabinet (hanging off the back) to be about 260lbs. Computer cabinet is completely removed from the machine and the power supply cabinet is completely gutted, save for the 3 phase throw switch.

Concern of question I have is. Was this machine over built or what???? I mean the way the power supplies where designed is insane. You would think that there are enough transformers and other related switching gear in this thing to run 10 machines. Makes it hard to believe that I am replacing it with about 50lbs of gear. I do not think that I should be at all concerned, but would like to hear other's opinions...

BTW I did not fully dissect the machine before I tore it apart, but do have a limited idea on what everything is doing. One thing I cannot figure is the three transformers for each stepper. The schematic call them "reactors", any one have an idea what they might mean. Seeing the bridge react after the "reactors" means it has to be used for DC, but why call it a "reactor". I mean a transformer is a transformer right? Each of these three "reactors" is larger than the single one I have in the replacement power supply.

To answer my own question, maybe this is why the machine has been running with almost 30 years on it.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrispy

The schematic call them "reactors", any one have an idea what they might mean. Seeing the bridge react after the "reactors" means it has to be used for DC, but why call it a "reactor". I mean a transformer is a transformer right?
    The schematic calls them reactors, because thats probabally what they are. These are applied in different ways in servo amplifier circuits, either to increase load inductance or for line suppression, power supply regulation etc
    A way to tell is if there is continuity between the incomming conductors and the outgoing cond. Then they would not be transformers, they are all probabally fed from a common source. You mention the bridge is after the choke or reactor, so that would be in the AC side?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.