587,370 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Help programming octagons with different radius corners

Help programming octagons with different radius corners

We have a puma 3100uly with Fanuc i series controller. I'm new to the y-axis in the lathes and haven't done much with it besides milling wrench flats. I got a job that has 5 different sized octagons over the length of the part. I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this would be. The bad part is the print calls out a different radius on the corners of each octagon. I've done hexs before, in a lathe without y axis, just using c and x axis but that's as close to this as I've done. And i didn't have to radius the edges on that. If anyone has an example program of a simple octagon that would be awesome. Here's one of the octagons.

Attachment 194250

The easiest way I can think of to do this is to turn the area to 1.400 and then mill 8 separate flats using the y axis. that would leave me with the correct radius in the corners. The problem with that is the other octagons don't work out that easy. The smallest one is .429 across the flats with a .125 radius on the corners. That's where I'm getting stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	194262

Are you programming with a CAM system or writing code yourself?
    The larger octogons shouldn't be too hard..

Ok. The more I look at this the more I wonder..
    Are you milling with the face of the cutter or the periphery?

Thanks for the reply. I will be writing my own code. Using the face of a z-carb end mill (probably .500 dia). I think the hardest part will be the 2 smallest octagons just because of the radius they want. I will also have to machine this in sections because of the small dia. And overall length of 36". It's made of nylon so it won't be very rigid. Nylon is another new experience for me..

Hi!

Ok. For one thing, I highly recommend cutting with the periphery of the end mill rather than the flat face. You can mill the flats of the hex OK but generating the radii may be a problem.

I will give that a try if I have the clearance. I hate doing little parts in a big machine.

Understood.