588,471 active members*
5,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Considering X2 and looking at my options

Considering X2 and looking at my options

Hi all,

I've decided I need a mill. Well, maybe "need" isn't the right word, but it would definitely come in handy. I want to eventually build a CNC bowling ball engraver. Whether this first machine will be CNC I haven't decided. So with that in mind, I've researched as much as I could and went back and forth between a DIY router kit or a mill and I've decided on a mill.

With unlimited resources and space, I'd go for an X4 or a Tormach, but realistically an X2 is about the only machine in my budget. But from reading several threads (Hoss's espescially) the X2 seems more than capable for anything I'm going to do in the near future. An X3 would be awesome, but I don't have enough room, and I figure I can use the saved money for tooling.

I'd like an R8 spindle, and would prefer 20tpi leadscrews.

Looking at different suppliers, I see these as my options for purchase...
    Harbor Freight -R8
    $489 for mill (seems low compared to others)
    ~$90 s&h (I think, site doesn't say it's oversized, but freight from others is about 75)
    = $580 total

Not that I don't trust harbor freight, but I've read several posts that stated their mill specifications on the site weren't correct so I'm not taking their price at face value.

Grizzly -mt3
    $575 for mill
    $120 for LMS R8 spindle box (conversion kit n/a right now)
    $95 s&h
    = $790 total

Micro Mark -mt3
    $560 for mill
    similar to Grizzly for spindle and shipping
    = $777 total

With $775-$800 as my price range I'm also considering purchasing the major assemblies separately so that I can get exactly what I want.
    Little Machine Shop
    x2 extended base $300
    x2 column $95
    x2 R8 head $299
    shipping $93
    = $797 total

From what I can tell, the only things missing would be the wrenches, column stop, chip guard, and drill chuck. I figure it's cheaper to buy those than one of the other mills and the extended base separately.

I probably won't be able to purchase a mill for a couple of months and by then these numbers might not mean anything, but I wanted to get opinions and or suggestions from the people who know what they're talking about.

Thanks for taking the time read my long winded post.

-James

Don't forget that you will spend at least that amount again in end mills, fly cutter, vise, parallels, drills, tool holders, chuck, clamping set, measuring equipment, angle plates, coolant, lamp, boring head, etc.

Then you pay that amount again for the Gecko G540, PSU, three motors, ball screw conversion, belt drive head etc. The fact you are here means you will no be able to resist the force and will join us on the dark side of machining by automating the thing

Buying what you want from LMS makes sense, as the first thing you have to do is pull it apart for a CLA anyway. You can save a bit of shippng by buying a bunch of the other stuff you need from LMS to be delivered at the same time.

The wrenches, column stop ship guard and drill chuck are all not worth much.
    Regards,
    Mark

Hi jimdaug. Welcome to the Zone!

1. Cut the 20% off coupon from page 104 of December Popular Mechanics magazine.
    2. Order the X2, using coupon, from local Harbor Freight.
    3. Save on shipping by having it delivered free to store and picking it up there:
    4. Don't waste money on 20 TPI lead screws--They won't matter when you CNC it, and 16 TPI is actually better if you use standard screws for CNC.

Total cost for R8 X2: $391 + sales tax.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Hi jimdaug. Welcome to the Zone!

4. Don't waste money on 20 TPI lead screws--They won't matter when you CNC it, and 16 TPI is actually better if you use standard screws for CNC.

CR.

I have been wondering about that. It seems that the ball screws that I bought have a much coarser (is that a word?) pitch than the lead screw that comes with the machine. I always thought that "finer" was better.

So you get your precision with the motors and the software wizardry of Mach, correct.

RWW

I hear that RotarySMP, there's always something else to buy, not that it's a bad thing . I'm not sure I'm going to CNC this one. My ultimate plan is to build a CNC bowling ball engraver once my skills are up to snuff. But I'm sure I will be tweaking it as much as the budget allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post

Total cost for R8 X2: $391 + sales tax.

CR.
    Wow, thanks for the heads up I'll definitely have to check that out. I always thought their 20% off coupons were only for items in stock.

You might check your local Harbor Freight, as the ones ive been to usually stock the X2. At least they had one on the table next to the mini mill and other bench-top fare.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdaug View Post
    Wow, thanks for the heads up I'll definitely have to check that out. I always thought their 20% off coupons were only for items in stock.
    It's up to the store manager. Usually they will apply the coupon to special order items. If you have more than one store in your area, then if one won't do it, another might.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
    I have been wondering about that. It seems that the ball screws that I bought have a much coarser (is that a word?) pitch than the lead screw that comes with the machine. I always thought that "finer" was better.

So you get your precision with the motors and the software wizardry of Mach, correct.RWW
    It's all about efficiency. Ball screws roll ball bearings in the threads, so they can't be very fine but they are almost frictionless.

And, since everything is a trade off, there is such a thing as TOO fine. With stock screws CNC, you trade motor speed for unneeded precision.

The motors in full step mode need 200 pulses to turn one rev. Micro steps add more. So with 10 microsteps, 200 PPR and say 5 Turns Per Inch ball screws, you end up with 10,000 pulses per inch or .0001 resolution. That's pretty fine precision.

CR.

I'll definitely check it out Crevice Reamer. I went by the bookstore today and grabbed a copy of popular mechanics and grabbed a Home Shop Machinist while I was there and they both had 20% coupons .

There's a couple of Harbor Freight stores within reasonable distance from me. I'll get something worked out one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdaug View Post
    I'll definitely check it out Crevice Reamer. I went by the bookstore today and grabbed a copy of popular mechanics and grabbed a Home Shop Machinist while I was there and they both had 20% coupons .

There's a couple of Harbor Freight stores within reasonable distance from me. I'll get something worked out one way or the other.
    I ordered mine last Wednesday at the store and used the coupon. It's backordered though. Something about waiting on the drill chuck and stuff from China. I told him I didn't really need that crap and just wanted the mill itself. Still haven't heard if it's in yet or not. Probably going to be delayed due to the holiday and such.