587,999 active members*
5,336 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Fineline Automation 2x4 Rack and Pinion build

Fineline Automation 2x4 Rack and Pinion build

I am building a FineLine Automation 2x4 Rack and Pinion Router. This build may take some time, I thought I would document my build for posterity.

First off, Let me give credit where credit is due. Nate has endured my relentless emails, and newbie questions, always responding with the information I requested, and never once called me a dumb A**. Nate is great. Ha, that rhymed, ok I digress.

1st thing I decided to do was build the Linear Motion Carriages, as they looked pretty easy to assemble. In all there are 8 carriages, 4 extended carriages, 2 regular sized carriages without tapped mounting holes and 2 with tapped holes for mounting on the Z axis plate. The main things you have to worry about when assembling the carriages is to watch which side you put the bolts in. Like a dummy, I put them in the wrong side and had to take them all out and redo them. The screw heads go on the side without the slotted hole, yeah pretty obvious now. I then felt confident enough to attach the 2 linear carriages to the Z axis plate, that took a little ciphering on my part, but in the end it went together perfectly.

More later and pics will follow (Digital Camer has dead Batteries)

Crash5050

Go get some batteries! Like now!

I'm very interested in following your build. I am also planning a 2x4 from FineLine as soon as I can secure the funds. Actually, I'd like to do a 3x6 from them.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Pictures?

Ok, my photography skills are somewhat to be desired, and my carea is older than I am, so here goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1233.jpg   100_1234.jpg   100_1235.jpg   100_1236.jpg  

100_1237.jpg   100_1238.jpg   100_1241.jpg   100_1240.jpg  

I'm building same router. Can you tell me how fixed pinion to shaft?

Pinion to shaft?

Not quite sure what you are wanting here, the pinion gear has a 1 inch shoulder bolt, with a precision spacer, then a high collar lock nut. That screws directly into the mounting bracket.

David

Thank you

Looking like you are off to a good start! Keep the updates rolling as you can!

As sands through the hourglass

Well, I have been constantly building and rebuilding my machine. I have dyslexia, and it does make for some hard times when assembling things. But here it it, in all of it's glory. All I have left to do is bolt down the table, spoilerboards and the rockler rails. I have some pictures on the laptop, forgot to move them.

WIll Post in a second

David

Pics, As promised

Here they are.

Can't see them...

Awww. now your just being a tease....

Jeff

Pics obviously did not post

will try again

I had a vision

No, not one of those Jerry Garcia visions, but a vision in my head as to how I wanted my router to look, well my vision is now a reality. I never like anything I do, but fellas, I like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1414.jpg   100_1415.jpg   100_1416.jpg   100_1417.jpg  

100_1418.jpg  

I'm building the same machine. Nate's had a busy summer. So far I'm just putting the frame together, and need a buddy to come by and help me lift the bed frame into position between the legs.

ps. looks great--have you cut any parts/art yet?

Question about the FLA Needle Thrust Bearings

Hey, I'm confused about the X axis assembly, and Nate's a bit busy at the moment, so I was hoping someone who has already built it once could help me figure it out. Check out this image:

Essentially, I need to know what that part is, and how tightly these things go together. Thanks for any help you can give.

Matt,
    I think the confusion is that the "needle thrust bearing" is comprised of two washers and an actual needle thrust bearing. See the picture below (courtesy of glacial wanderer's build log). This shows two sets of the three components. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glacial wanderer.jpg  

Right, so it goes like this

washer -> needle thrust bearing -> washer -> bearing block -> washer -> needle thrust bearing -> washer -> shaft collar

I think McMaster has the associated washers available easily when you click on the needle thrust bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryantes View Post
    Right, so it goes like this

washer -> needle thrust bearing -> washer -> bearing block -> washer -> needle thrust bearing -> washer -> shaft collar

I think McMaster has the associated washers available easily when you click on the needle thrust bearing.
    Thank you Ahren and Aryantes. Hopefully I'll not pester you with (many) more questions.

Would it be ok to use a Plain Finish threaded rod from McMasters? or is there a reason to use the Black-Oxide Finish rod?

Any tips on how to line up those carriages? Right now I'm adding them to the gantry. Here's a related question--do I need to mount the Z axis on the gantry before I put the carriages on the gantry?

Igus Chain on the Fineline 2 x 4

Has anybody successfylly installed Igus chain (e-chain) on the X axis of a 2 x 4 fineline? If so could you please post a pic.

David