587,083 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport R2E4 CNC Mill control problem

I have a Bridgeport R2E4 CNC milling machine that I just purchased from a local community college. After setting the machine in place I tried to start it and the control panel gave me an error that the axis drive would not enable. I checked the control panel and found that the RC circuit across one of the axis starter coils was blown. I replaced the RC circuit and it burn out again. I cannot find any shorts in the circuit. The coil checks the same as the two remaining axis coils check. Does anyone have any quick things that I can check?

Thanks

Rick

Not sure what you mean by a axis starter coil. I am going to take a guess its a inductor, in series with the motor armature.

Considering you just got it, I would closely examine the cables to the motors to see if one got pinched or pulled during the move causing a short. I would also check pc boards and other things for something that moved around during moving the mill. When checking things, don't forget to check for resistance to ground also, just make sure power is off and things are discharged first. I am betting the problem is related to the move, even loose hardware has a way of falling into the worst possible spot.

The three coils operate relays that apparently turn on the three axis drives. The RC circuit is across each coil. The coils are in parallel with each other so they engerize all at the same time. I assume the three servo drives are powered up when these relays close. Hope that helps better describe it better.

thanks

Rick

I PMed you
    archie =) =) =)