588,507 active members*
4,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Rhino to Gcode?
Page 1 of 2 12

Rhino to Gcode?

I downloaded the evaluation, and I am seriously considering Rhino for making sculptured jewelry molds (waxes). My question is, what, other than RhinoCam, will work for this? Funds are somewhat limited. Thanks!

I'm currently using Rhino, and importing Rhinos' .3dm files into OneCNC Mill Professional. I like this arrangement due to the fact that I prefer drawing in Rhino verses OneCNC's CAD package. I then export the G-code from OneCNC to my machine controllers. I can highly recommend Rhino, as they have a great product for the money. Also, Rhino's tech support should be the benchmark for many other software companies. As for RhinoCam, it's still in its infancy and requires some more development work, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Hi Fred,

I too use Rhino but I have taken a different route. I have found a Godsend in a young man here on the Zone that takes my rough Rhino files, tweaks them......ok he has to redo them then he writes the cam on Mastercam. He is currently doing some 4 axis stuff for me. I could not be happier. It is something I should have done a long time ago. His prices are fair and he is diligent to get the work done. I probably should not be plugging him till I get everything done I need!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

This might help, it's a list of cam packages, there is a section which covers jewlery there as well.
    http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/de...sp?language=en

Thank you everyone!

Splint, I had seen the page with the plugins. Going back to the page, I looked at FreeCam, and downloaded and installed the package. Using a simple form, it processed it. I chose Centroid as the postprocessor, and got a file with XYZ codes!!!

The CAM is very easy to use, I followed the prompts with no additional instructions.

Given the complexity of my parts, I think I will need a new hard drive to store the resulting files..... lots of small curves.

Now, to see how well it works !!!

Again, thanks !!

I've been using Rhino to design jewelry for three years now. If you take the time to work through the tutorials I don't think you can beat it. It is easy to learn and extremely
    adaptable. I use DeskProto to generate my tool paths. You can download a full working
    copy of Version 4.0 and use it for thirty days. It is very easy to use. If you are a student,you can get it for a very reasonable price. Same goes for Rhino. Look up Andrew Werby's site for student pricing. All you need for proof is to email a copy of "your" student I.D. I have RhinoCam on my computer . Not impressed. Maybe in its second or third generation.

Rhinocam

I purchased the rhinocam 4-axis add-on a couple of months ago. The post processor is very customizable, and running mach 2 just fine. To be fair, it is an awesome program. It outputs arcs in all axis, depending on what you are doing. For instance, Parallel Finishing only puts out G1 and G0 moves. It you are doing a very contoured part, such as a smooth guitar body, this means START STOP START STOP START STOP START STOP START STOP to accomplish what would have otherwise been a smooth G2 or G3 arc. This means more wear and tear on your machine tool, and much slower machining, as the tool will never reach full speed, and causes hideous vibrations.
    After purchasing it, I have learned alot. And rhinocam now has a rhinocam-PRO version available that will create the arcs I desire during parallel finishing, along with other toolpath-strategies (pencil tracing, radial something or another, etc.)
    While I cannot claim that I was lied to, I am dissapointed with the software and the upgrade situation. Only after gaining experience with CAM could I realize what I need from the software. The $500 to upgrade seems like a reasonable price for the performance jump I will gain, but it still feels like a slap in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat
    It outputs arcs in all axis, depending on what you are doing. For instance, Parallel Finishing only puts out G1 and G0 moves. It you are doing a very contoured part, such as a smooth guitar body, this means START STOP START STOP START STOP START STOP START STOP to accomplish what would have otherwise been a smooth G2 or G3 arc. This means more wear and tear on your machine tool, and much slower machining, as the tool will never reach full speed, and causes hideous vibrations.
    Just use Constant Velocity mode (G64) in Mach2 and you'll get smooth cuts even if the code is all G1's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smoother cuts is the right idea. But not if it means sacrificing precision. If the "smoothing" is done by the CAM program, I can be assured that the part is cut within the tolerances I choose. Letting Mach 2 round off the corners of every linear move seems a little sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat
    Smoother cuts is the right idea. But not if it means sacrificing precision. If the "smoothing" is done by the CAM program, I can be assured that the part is cut within the tolerances I choose. Letting Mach 2 round off the corners of every linear move seems a little sloppy.
    You mentioned a guitar body. Typically, the linear moves from a CAM program are very short. If not, you can configure the software to make them any length you want. I don't see how blending 1/32" long segments would be sacrificing precision. I believe that the Rhino model is converted to a mesh internally to create the toolpaths, so you probably already lost more precision than Mach2's rounding. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cam for Centroid

Hello Fred !!

Its the first time that I right you.

I found your resutls with free cam and Centroid processor very interesting to me, because I have purchased a retrofit mil kit from Ajax cnc and I have some troubles to export G code.
    I tried with Bobcad but I havent a good result.
    I thing that the steps that I have do are the following.

I design -I import the design to Freecam as first i have chose Centroid post processor that is suitable for Ajaxcnc controler-I generate the G code and and i save it in a floppy disk-last I import the code with the Ajax controler and execute the cutting program.

I would be much apreciate if i will have a replay from you

Thank you very much and kindest regards

Left

Thank you very m

3dm to dfx

Hi Gents,

This is my first post here and I must say I'm a complete newby at this CNC stuff.
    I friend of mine just finished building jgor's CNC router table and it works great. He's a winblows (windows no flame please) user and uses Mach2 to drive is table.
    We are now building a sencond table for me and I don't really know were to start.

Since I'm a Unix/Linux users I've been researching what is the best approach, so far I have EMC with the axis interface, qcad, synergy CAD/Cam and eagle. What do you guys think of this setup so far ?

Well now I have to learn all that good stuff starting with eagle, CAD/Cam and of cource gcode. in the mean time I'd like to be able to use the table. I'm also in the process of building a windmill and I found a rino file and gcode to carve a set of blades.
    I've tried to load in on EMC and I get an out of rage error on this line :

N40 (2 1/2 Axis Profiling).. what's that all about ?

Also I'd like to conver the Rhino file to DFX so I can load it in qcad or synergy can anyone do this ? feel free to email me hbelanger ( a t) look (d o t ) ca

Thanks
    Hugues

Here's my problem

Rhino

I'm a graphic designer getting into CNC full time, and I'm curious about the tools in Rhino. Does it allow you to use some intuitive moves? (eg. modifying a mesh with movement instead of numerical entries). I'm fine with using a CAD type interface for providing woodworking parts, but am looking for a more art-oriented approach without spending so much for Mastercam. Any thoughts?
    Grant

Yes. Download the fully-functional demo and have a go... --ch

just wondering if anyone has used MadCAM? I use RhinoCAM right now but it's so expensive to upgrade to RhinoCAM Pro, and MadCAM looks like it's WAY more functional for less money.

Thoughts?

mc.....you have a pm
    Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    just wondering if anyone has used MadCAM? I use RhinoCAM right now but it's so expensive to upgrade to RhinoCAM Pro, and MadCAM looks like it's WAY more functional for less money.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    mc I use Madcam and would be glad to try to answer any questions you have.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    mc I use Madcam and would be glad to try to answer any questions you have.

Mike
    Have you ever used Rhino? And if so, how would you compare the two? Thanks,
    MC

Have you ever used Rhino? And if so, how would you compare the two? Thanks,
    MC

Mc I do use Rhino, but due to certain circumstances, I can't respond too much on the open forum. Let's just say I might be biased towards Madcam, but if you would like to do a comparison yourself, pm me with your email.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Mc I do use Rhino, but due to certain circumstances, I can't respond too much on the open forum. Let's just say I might be biased towards Madcam, but if you would like to do a comparison yourself, pm me with your email.

Mike
    Cool, I get the idea. Is the 30 day trial a limited time offer? Honestly, I can't afford to mess with the CAD/CAM on my computer, I use it every day and can't afford to be without it. Would have to put it on another computer but my laptop isn't nearly as fast, 1.6g?

Page 1 of 2 12