588,074 active members*
4,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: wabeco.

wabeco.

hi I'm seriously thinking of buying a wabeco D2400E bar bed lathe if you have got one or used one any information on performance etc,
    would be appreciated, especially the ease of use of the lead screw handle on the end.
    finding information from owners seems very elusive on the net.
    many thanks.

Same here, trying to find user's comments on wabeco lathe or feedback and just like you I can't find anything.

What makes you prefer the bar-bed lathe instead of the V-bed wabeco models? You see I'm even more at the beginning of the seek...

Quote Originally Posted by Tino_ale View Post
    Same here, trying to find user's comments on wabeco lathe or feedback and just like you I can't find anything.

What makes you prefer the bar-bed lathe instead of the V-bed wabeco models? You see I'm even more at the beginning of the seek...
    cost the d6000e is a £1000 more but is 600mm between centers so is a bit big for me.
    i think the bar bed ones are fine if not abused IE taking light cuts any way i have ordered a d2400e it should arrive in 5 weeks or so.
    there is a test on the webaco site in pdf but its in German and security protected so i cant use google to translate it.

wabeco D2400E.

I'm now the proud owner of a wabeco D2400E and i must say I'm impressed the only concern i had was the lead screw handle on the end.
    at a hight of five feet seven inches there is no problem reaching it and keeping an eye on the cutting tool.
    any one taller and longer arms it would be less of a stretch also the headstock is aluminium and the tail stock.
    the saddle and tool slide are cast iron there are grease nipples every were and the hight of the machine is quite tall if you want pics etc let me know.

Nice! Yes general as well as detailed pics would be more than welcome, as you know there is very little information and pics of these Wabeco lathe on the internet. Please post as many as you can.

Nice! Yes general as well as detailed pics would be more than welcome, as you know there is very little information and pics of these Wabeco lathe on the internet. Please post as many as you can.

Hi Eddy

I have a couple of questions about the wabeco lathe.

1/ It seems that there is only one lathe from wabeco that have a power feed of the carriage, and that is the D3000 lathe, and it is powered by a separate motor with potentiometer adjustment. All other lathe seem to use the lead screw and offer only two auto advance speed, which can only be switched by changing gears.

So : first, do you think it is important to have a variable auto advance feed? Is it OK to use the lead screw as an auto cariage advance, as it is on the other Wabeco lathe? I heard you should not normally use the lead screw for auto advance, but only for threading...?

Is the D3000 power feed physically separated from the lead screw, or is it using the same lead screw to advance the carriage, as on the other lathe?

2/ Do you know how many thread per inch the lead screw has? I heard that you can disengage your carriage from the lead screw while threading as long as the threading you are doing is a multiple of the lead screw TPI. This can be very interresting!

3/ On the D3000 I see the power feed motor control are on the extreme right of the lathe. When you are making finish pass, I wonder if you don't want to keep your hand on the feed control, in which case it can be quite a stretch to do so. On the other hand, if the power feed uses the same lead screw than the threading lead screw, you can leave the feed motor running and stop the carriage by disengaging it from the lead screw. What do you think?

4/ When threading, when you stop the motor at the end of the threaded portion of the part you're machining, does the spindle stop running rapidly? And can you reverse the engine right away?

If you know any video about machining with a wabeco lathe, I would be very interrested... Any more pictures or video of your lathe?

Sorry for so many questions,
    Thanks and hope you enjoy your Wabeco

Hi Eddy

I have a couple of questions about the wabeco lathe.

1/ It seems that there is only one lathe from wabeco that have a power feed of the carriage, and that is the D3000 lathe, and it is powered by a separate motor with potentiometer adjustment. All other lathe seem to use the lead screw and offer only two auto advance speed, which can only be switched by changing gears.

So : first, do you think it is important to have a variable auto advance feed? Is it OK to use the lead screw as an auto carriage advance, as it is on the other Wabeco lathe? I heard you should not normally use the lead screw for auto advance, but only for threading...?

Is the D3000 power feed physically separated from the lead screw, or is it using the same lead screw to advance the carriage, as on the other lathe?

2/ Do you know how many thread per inch the lead screw has? I heard that you can disengage your carriage from the lead screw while threading as long as the threading you are doing is a multiple of the lead screw TPI. This can be very interesting!

3/ On the D3000 I see the power feed motor control are on the extreme right of the lathe. When you are making finish pass, I wonder if you don't want to keep your hand on the feed control, in which case it can be quite a stretch to do so. On the other hand, if the power feed uses the same lead screw than the threading lead screw, you can leave the feed motor running and stop the carriage by disengaging it from the lead screw. What do you think?

4/ When threading, when you stop the motor at the end of the threaded portion of the part you're machining, does the spindle stop running rapidly? And can you reverse the engine right away?

If you know any video about machining with a wabeco lathe, I would be very interrested... Any more pictures or video of your lathe?

Sorry for so many questions,
    Thanks and hope you enjoy your Wabeco
    Hi
    yes the D3000E has a separate power ie motor for fine control of the lead screw i think it would be useful but i can live without it.
    the only difference between this lathe and a convectional one is when you move the carriage under power or not your using the lead screw.
    the lead screw thread pitch is 1.5mm.
    you cannot disengage the carriage from the lead screw to stop excessive wear on the lead screw it runs through a bronze nut as dose the top slide and compound slide.
    Ive not done any threading yet but you stop the carriage when you reach the end of the thread and select reverse back out the tool and power back too the beginning.
    i think i made the right choice when i bought this lathe its very accurate ie drilling a 0.45mm hole in 0.80mm s steel wire etc.
    i hope this answers you questions if you want specific photos of any component let me know.
    regards eddy.