587,362 active members*
3,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Dumore electric motor questions

Dumore electric motor questions

Hello,not quite sure if this is the correct forum,but here goes....I bought a used Dumore electric motor for my bench top CNC mill spindle motor that I'm building.It is 230 volt single phase, .5 HP,AC-DC at 3 amps,with 2 wires.On the badge it says under no load 18000 RPM and under load,8000 RPM.I will attach a pic of the badge.Now the questions,.....can I operate it on AC or DC?Can I have variable speed with some sort of Variac?,Is it reversible if it turns the wrong direction?I have a Penta Power,KB electronics regenerative drive that with 230 volts in,will give 0-+_180 volts DC out,would that function with this motor?What kind of belt system can tolerate this speed with out blowing up?I should mention that it is a brushed motor.I bought it for the RPM's and for the compact size,but i hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot thanks for any and all comments
    Regards,Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dumore.jpg  

It pretty sure to be a Universal motor. It is made, as it says to run on both AC & DC. It is the same kind of motor as most power hand tools,routers, vacuum cleaners etc. of the 120ac variety. You can get or build various speed controllers fairly cheap, To reverse the direction you will have to reverse the series field leads, As you can see from the label, one of the down sides to Universal motors is their poor speed control under load.
    One of the only couple of things that restricts the top speed in a universal motor is the frictional load.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Dumore sensitive drill press

Anyone know what the runout of a dumore sensitive drill is? I am assumuing it should be less than .0001" But I can find no information on this at all. Anyone know please advise as I want to amke sure i dont break size 80 drill bits into my work etc.

Thanks in advance!!

GEO