587,997 active members*
1,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC4pc Solid State Relay Board.

So i bought this device. It is suppose to be able to turn your spindle on and off. I wire it up and it turns it on and off fine. But the problem is. Some reason it makes my spindle speed up then slow down and then speed up and then slow down and etc. Just keeps changing speeds.

Any advise? Maybe my spindle is just to big? Do i need a bigger Relay?

http://cnc4pc.com/Solid_State_Relay_Board.htm

I have this same board. How do you have this wired up? It is just a switch, so it seems like your problem could be elsewhere?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Well if i wire my spindle direct it works fine.

I took the black wire from my spindle and put it in one end. And then hooked the other end of the board up to ground and pin 14 on my breakout board. And to power the unit i used the the CNC4pc power supply. The A4 power supply.

THe outputs are isolated. The black from your motor should go to one terminal on the output side and the black from the outlet (120vac) should go to the other terminal. It sounds like you may be trying to ground your motor through your break-out board (you mentioned pin 14?) Run the current directly through the board - no jumpers to your BOB on the output side of the SSR board.

Scott

Here is my professionally prepared explanation: :tired:

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ssr.bmp  

this is exactly how i have it hooked up. it almost sounds like my spindle is turning on and off ever few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Smackre
    this is exactly how i have it hooked up. it almost sounds like my spindle is turning on and off ever few seconds.

Sounds Like your port is only putting out 3.3v instead of 5 causing the circuit to turn on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by bcromwell
    Sounds Like your port is only putting out 3.3v instead of 5 causing the circuit to turn on and off.
    You should be able to take a lead from your 5 Volt supply and connect it to the signal input of the board with a 100k resistor in series. Disconnect the signal wire first. This will tell you if it is a problem from the parallel port.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulC
    You should be able to take a lead from your 5 Volt supply and connect it to the signal input of the board with a 100k resistor in series. Disconnect the signal wire first.
    Paul
    100k may limit the current too much <50µa., preventing it from switching.
    The board should already be current limited, so no resistor should be necessary.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Any results?

I was out of ideas, so I figured I would let the pros handle it. Sorry to be of such limited help, Smackre.

Scott

Well i came into work today and tried the 5v psu idea. Some reason i cant get it to turn on at all atm. The spindle works great wired direct but with the relay installed i cant get it to work. i will work on it more in a few hours but right now i got work that has to get out of the door.

Smackre,

The optoisolators will take the 3vdc signal without any trouble. I would believe it could be more related to a problem with the board, or the device you are running.

1. It could have a loose component. Please check if you see if you see any parts of the board heating up while your spindle is running.
    2. What size motor and fuse are you using? Are you sure you are not exceeding the capacity of the relay of fuse?

Please let me know the release # on the board.

Arturo Duncan
    http://cnc4pc.com

I am unsure on the size of the motor. i was told by the guy we bought the router from that it was a 5.5hp 220v perske spindle. Well i had a electriction look at the motor and he said its not 220 its 110v. so im not believeing much that guy says. It dont look like a perske spindle. I can post a pic of the spindle if that helps.

Tomorow i can look at the board and see if any miss connections are there. i can also see if its heatings up. i was doing some testing on the board with a meter.

Is there a way i can hook up the multimeter to the board to see when the switch turns on and off?

You could try setting things up with a light bulb rather than the motor as the load and see if that works for starters.

Well when i got into work today i messed with it alittle bit. i put the multimeter on the parallel port and im getting 4.33v when ever its suppose to be on and 0 when i turn he spindle off. I then put the meter on my psu and im getting 5.3v from it. So the board is getting power. Its getting a signal from the computer.

Again today when i turned the spindle on today it sounded like it was speeding up and slowing down. i did not see any mis connections on the board its self.

If the relay has multiple inputs and outputs, have you tried a different input output pair?

only one of them is rated for high amps. 1 is for 13 amp and the other 3 are for 5 amp. i dont think my spindle pulls more than 13 amps but i have no idea how to find out.

I'm pretty sure a 5HP Perske would need a VFD to run it, and it would draw a lot more than 13amps and 110V. A porter cable 3-1/4HP router draws 15amps at 110V.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    I'm pretty sure a 5HP Perske would need a VFD to run it, and it would draw a lot more than 13amps and 110V. A porter cable 3-1/4HP router draws 15amps at 110V.
    Odd, a search for 5hp Perske only turns up 3phase so a VFD would be needed, but how is it running now?
    If it is indeed single phase (Universal type?) but too high a current for the board, then the answer may be to use the board to switch a 5hp contactor and pick it up that way.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have no idea what hp the spindle is. I was told by the guy we bought it from it was 5hp. It dont look like 5hp to me. Right now i have it wired directly to a wallplug and pluged into a 110v outlet. Now i just need to find a way to switch it on and off with the computer.

I tried one of the other switches on the board and it just blew the fuse on the board. So its pulling more than 5amps.

Page 1 of 2 12