588,094 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > MV Junior with Fanuc 10M RPM Display

MV Junior with Fanuc 10M RPM Display

Hi;

I know this may sound stupid, but I'm the new owner of a Mori Seiki MV Junior with a Fanuc 10M control and the 6000 RPM Model 3 Spindle. The display always shows 0 RPM no matter what speed the spindle is operating at. The spindle is operating without error. In my attempts to establish whether this is normal, I've learned a great deal about the Fanuc System. There isn't a Position Coder on the spindle and the board isn't installed on the Spindle Control. There is nothing connected to CA2 which is the Position Coder connection on the main board. I'm pretty certain that this rules out rigid tapping. The Spindle has a pulse generator for feedback to the Spindle Controller, so I would expect that this would also be used to display RPM. So, my question is, should the display show actual RPM or is this just not available on this machine?

Thanks
    Brett

Re: MV Junior with Fanuc 10M RPM Display

Pretty sure spindle speed sensor should be on the spindle, probably the old style hall effect toothed pickup. Problem is, there were quite a few major changes during the MV40/MVJR run, so hard to tell. Some even had an umbrella tool changer.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct, that the spindle speed sensor does go on the spindle. They call it the Position Coder. There isn't one on this machine. However, it does have the magnetic sensor on the spindle motor as you described. I'm just not sure if magnetic sensor is also used to proved RPM output to the display screen. Basically, I'm trying to find out if having 0 RPM displayed all the time is normal operation or should I be looking for a problem.

More than likely, you don't have a problem. Usually the mills from this era showed the commanded speed on the display instead of actual speed.

I can't remember if rigid tapping was available on the early MV-Jrs or not, and I don't remember what the option parameter was either. The easiest 2 ways to find out if you have rigid tapping would be; 1. Call Fanuc and ask. 2. Write a small program commanding the rigid tap in the air and see if it alarms out.

As far as the RPM display on the screen. I'm sure there's a Fanuc parameter that enables or disables it. Have a look through your parameter manual (probably in the maintenance manual on a 10m). I also can't remember how similar the 10m parameters are to a 21m. Try checking PRM 3105.0 and 3105.2. If 3105.0 is 0, try turning it on.