588,357 active members*
8,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Quick and Dirty X3 Coolant enclosure..cheap too!
Page 1 of 2 12

Quick and Dirty X3 Coolant enclosure..cheap too!

So I got a bit of bad news in the family today so I went out to the shop to mess around. My plan was to build an enclosure for my X3 that would enclose the whole mill. I planned on using a shower pan with a shower curtain enclosure to set it up.

But I wasnt very motivated to get real dirty so I got thinking I may want something a little smaller than the original idea. So I was going to build a metal box frame to mount to the table, but instead I found a cheap rubbermaid or whatever it was 6" deep box to use instead. All I plan to do is cut out the bottom of it to fit the mill table, plumb in a couple drain plugs, one from the mill table and one in the rubbermaid box for the return coolant.

Then I had some spare conduit that I just attached to the back of the head stock, I plan on using a cheap shower curtain to hang down from this into the rubbermaid bin, to keep the chips and any splashing coolant in the bin.

You will notice the front is open still as I havent bent the other piece to slip into the ends so I can remove it etc etc..Not finished it all yet but figured i would share this $15, 1 hour enclosure unit for those who dont want to spend a full day or two building one...

It will work just fine and was cheap and easy to do, and it wont leave much of a bigger footprint than the mill compared to my original idea.

Not the prettiest enclosure out there but the rubbermaid bin was $6.99 at target, the conduit was free and the shower curtain will be $4.99 i beleive. The plumbing for the return line will just be from fittings i have in the shop..

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enclosure.jpg  

hey buddy, that should work.. i worked on mine as well today, got my pump, suction line and pressure line ran.. and ran some water through it just to see what the return flow was like.. the little fish breeder net thing that i got at walmart worked wonderfully as a filter screen.. and putting the noisy pump in the next room really helped on my ears..

I'm planning to use shower curtains for mine as well, cept i'm gonna hang mine from the ceeling.. (same kinda conduit runners)

looks like you got your locline, did you get a chance to play with it at all??
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

not really played with it at all. Just started that enclosure today. Have to go out and get the shower curtain and cut it to size, and then bend the other conduit to be added. Oh yeah also need some velcro to keep the curtains in place. Should work no problem, wont be anything special but you know me, I am less into making things for play than for money I guess I could have put some nicer rounded bends in the tubing, but I threw it in my brake and just did it quick.

Like I said nothing pretty should be more than effective and cheap and took no time to build...

yea roger that, i was reading on this one site, where a guy used his mill as a tubing benter, he use some angle iron, made some rollers, mounted 2 rolers on the angle, and one in the collet holder on his mill, then put the angle in the vice on the table, then just cranked the y in and out to adjust the amount of bend. then turn on the spindle real slow and feed the conduit in and let it power roll it all the way through.. i cant remember the link, but if i find it i'll post it, i thought it was pretty ingenous...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

hmm that is interesting...must have been thin stuff...I would be affraid to do something like that on my mill..but it may be the stuff I was bending was much thicker cause it took a lot to bend..
    www.kosracing.com

nah, standard emt i think... the outter rollers were i'm guessing maby 2 feet apart or so.. really wouldnt take that much, and i think he was using maby 1/2" maby it was something different, i really cant remember, i just know it was way cool... i gotta go find that link...

ok, i found it and i was a bit off.. its a cool read, his whole site is full of cool stuff and ideas and things...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Mach...bigbender.html

hey, got my coolant and locline today.. gotta go and try it out..

one thing i was wondering, will coolant freeze, and if so, would it hurt it?

well it is almost done. Just have to cut out the bottom of the tub and plumb in the return lines.

should have probably waited to do this when my head was a little clearer, as I had to move the bar to the top instead of the bottom ..oh well I know my head was else where then..

well here it is anyways..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enclosure1.jpg   enclosure2.jpg   enclosure3.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

I would just be afraid of for some reason the shower curtains getting caught in the mill. Wouldn't be pretty!

-Jason

i think its a fine setup, yea i could see the posibility for the curtans to get cought, but i really dont think its gonna be an issue..

so looking at the pics, is it safe to say that you drilled and tapped the table all the way around where you mounted the tub?

yeah i have thought about it getting caught and have velcro to use if it does become a problem, but so far moving it around it hasnt been an issue at all. It would really take a gust of wind to blow it into the cutter.

Yeah I did drill and tap into the table, That is why I have the drill chuck in there when I took the pics. I then added an end mill to spin around in there to check and make sure I wouldnt have a problem with the curtains...

For me the ideal thing is that it doesnt take up very much room in my shop at all. I thought about using a shower pan and whole enclosure but my shop realestate is a big commodity for me and this way I am able to still have acces to space around the mill.

I havent cut the bottom out of it yet as I am still toying with the idea of making a fixture plate to mount in there, I plan on sacrificing one of my 7x10 lathes to use as a 4th axis in there as well. Right now it will fit in there no problem. If i use a fixture plate I wont have to worry about trying to plumb in a return line from the table...just the tub. Right now it is sealed with neoprene washer and seems to hold water just fine.

Lastly I have an injection mold clamp in my shop already, it was part of a complete plastic injection molding machine I was building. But I have been following Hoss's ATC thread and am interested to see how it all works out. If it is very successful I may use my cylinder and everthing else for an ATC as well. I already have it wired to a solenoid/power supply and air so it would just be a matter of hooking that up to a board to run it from mach and making the arm etc...Then making that work within the confined space of the tub may prove to become an issue but we will see.

Here is a couple pics of my cylinder set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cylinder.jpg   inside.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

ok just another update..although not sure how many actually like my idea..lol..oh well, it works for the tight space i have!

Once i get the lathe installed right and my fixture plate built I will start on the ATC for this mill too..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe1.jpg   lathe2.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

sweet! i was wondering tho, how much of your x travel was taken up by the lathe headstock?

I am not 100% sure as i havent measured it yet. It will also depend where I mount it too. Probably looking at about 7" right now though. Not sure what I can get that down to we will see, I can measure it up tomorrow when I get some time in the shop to play.

Got a surprise in the mail yesterday, I ordered 2 of those surplus air cylinders and the solenoid. Not sure if I am going to use these for my ATC project of the one I already have.....But I thought for that price I couldnt pass up having a few in the shop anyways.

I am hoping tomorrow I can get the lathe attachment finished, and then hopefully the joystick done as well. Then from there I will see if I add on the stepper motor to the lathe or start on the ATC..I need to see where the money is at before I start anything though..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails airstuff.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

well got a little distracted in the shop today, but I did get a few things done. Bent a small enclosure to cover the lathe motor. On the left hand side you will see the motor control for the lathe there, I guess I could have mounted it to the side of the lathe head but I like the idea of having it away from the coolant spray and sticking my hands where they dont belong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails latheattachment1.jpg   fullmill.jpg   latheattachment1[1].JPG  
    www.kosracing.com

I also stated to mess around with some ideas for an ATC as well. Right now I have just started to mock things up and get some better ideas for what I want to do. I would much rather just have the piston over the drawbar than a whole lever set up, but I will see how it all goes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATC1.jpg   ATC2.jpg   ATC3.jpg   fullmill.jpg  

www.kosracing.com

also too a few pics of the shop to share and to give you an idea why i built my enclosure like I did..you can see table space is at a premium...so a couple lathes, the polishing and rubber molding table, anodizing table, sheet metal table and the one table that is falling down that has the blast cabinet and powder coating cabinet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop pic 1.jpg   shop pic 2.jpg   shop pic 3.jpg   polishingtable.jpg  

blasting.jpg   anodizing.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

oh yeah one more...I used to have two of the HF 7x10 lathes, but since I sacrificed on for the mill, I decided to cut the other one down and extend the bed on the other one, so make it much larger...still have some work to do and order in a new lead screw but you get the idea where I am at with it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe1.jpg  
    www.kosracing.com

how did you do the connection between the two bed
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Page 1 of 2 12