588,695 active members*
6,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with Techno CNC Router

I purchased two used Techno CNC routers at an auction this weekend. The control units and computers are missing. The units are in excellent shape and the stepper motors are present. All of the connecting cables from the stepper motors are present with the exception of one.

CNC routing is something I have been wanting to try for a while but have been unable due to cost. My question is what would it take to build a new control system for the routers? How difficult would it be? Approximately how much would it cost to get these up and running? If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Brian

Go to USBCNC they have an excellent control board with software. I am building a cnc control box for a new 48 x 72 router and total cost is about 1500.00 . This amount would be less depending upon how big your motors are. There is a guy named Dan Mauch (google him) who offers affordable controls as well

Without a doubt, I would get a Gecko 540 Kit from Keling cnc (www.kelinginc.net) and save some serious cash. The old techno's had pretty weak and loud steppers. For about $500 you could have a great machine with strong modern steppers, and first rate motor drivers that will work with Mach 3 or EMC for the control software.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

the best or perhaps the most cost effective system for your purposes is based on what you intend to do with them. if you are going to cut straight parts and drill and circle mill them then steppers are probably OK, but you will probably get better response with a closed loop system. dc servos work fine and provide good service. gecko makes servo drives and Granite Devices makes a dual servo drive which will run 2 servos with one drive. Mach 3 is a great interface for the price all systems have their strong and weak points, so research all your possibilities with the intended use of the system in mind. figure out what you need to do, and then figure out how to do it most efficiently.

I had some free time today to take some photos and measurements. I put the photos on my website in a zip file. Easier to download.

They can be downloaded here: http://www.blwphotos.com/private/cnc.zip

The small router measurements are as follows:

Table 29 1/2"w x 34 1/8 with 21 1/2" x 20" travel
    Gantry has 19 5/8" between table and bottom of gantry 14 1/8" travel between table and collet on router.

The large table measures:

Table 39 3/8"w x 53 3/4" with 31 1/2" x 34 1/4" travel

Gantry is same as small one.

The routers are Porter Cable model 75182 120v 10,000-21,000 RPM.

The stepper motor that I took off has the following on it:

Isel 2 phase stepmotor
    Model 473030
    Type ECM268-E2.8b-1
    1.8 deg/step DC 2.8v UNI 2.8A BI 4.0A

The motor on the Z axis looks bigger but I did not take it off. (out of time)

I have been reading a lot. I get the impression that it would be best to replace the steppers. I don't know which would be best steppers or servos. Obviously cost will be an issue.

As for what I will do with the router sky's the limit part cutting, 3d carving, sign making ect.. mostly from wood, corian, plastics. Probably not much metal. My wife is a teacher and already has a million can you make something like this requests.

With so much clearance on the Z axis I though about maybe adding a fourth axis rotary table. I am getting way ahead of myself skill wise but I figure it was probably easier to add now rather than later.

Let me know what you think the best move would be.

Thanks,

Brian

That is a huge span on the z axis! I think that router was built mainly for cutting foam. You might think about lowering the x axis or coming up with some type of bracing to keep the z from flexing.

Once again I'll put in my vote for the 540 kit. I think it would be perfect for that machine.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver