587,998 active members*
1,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro spindle question

Question Torus Pro spindle question

Alright all you Torus Pro owners that I envy(especially the ones with the servo edition!!)....I'm looking at the spindle on this mill....at least the visible part...it looks so disproportionate to me...that OD is not very big compared to how for it protrudes from the head...and it also looks like there's only 2 bolts that keep the head trammed in. Does anyone have any rigidy issues with this machine? And also, the videos I've seen of this machine, the end of the ballscrew on the Z is unsupported...but the components diagram(servo edition) shows a support block...any thoughts/words from owners?

Cheers,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by uawgmsmco View Post
    Alright all you Torus Pro owners that I envy(especially the ones with the servo edition!!)....I'm looking at the spindle on this mill....at least the visible part...it looks so disproportionate to me...that OD is not very big compared to how for it protrudes from the head...and it also looks like there's only 2 bolts that keep the head trammed in. Does anyone have any rigidy issues with this machine? And also, the videos I've seen of this machine, the end of the ballscrew on the Z is unsupported...but the components diagram(servo edition) shows a support block...any thoughts/words from owners?

Cheers,

Andrew
    No complaints here. The unsupported ballscrew is a total non-issue, and I've run it up to 350 IPM. The spindle is not the "weak link" in rigidity, so that is also a non-issue. Yes, there are "only" two bolts to tram the head. Why do you think that's a problem? I trammed mine when I first got it back in February, and it's produced many hundreds of parts since then, and the tram is still fine.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my machine - I don't think there's anything out there that comes close for the money, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I've done a huge amount of work with mine, and have had no significant problems, and I have no significant complaints.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the quick reponse...I guess I was thinking that given the surface area of where the head actually rotates, there'd be more than 2 bolts...but I guess if the bolts are large enough and that area of the head is rigid enough, then 2 bolt are all you need!

Ya the head is pretty rigid. Also the surface area (which those two bolts clamp) is huge (it is not hollow). Linear guides work beautifully on Z. I can easily step up and down by 0.001" with ZERO backlash all day.

The fact that you can tilt head may give you an advantage though. Apart from the obvious that it is easy to tram (left right). I had one job where I had to mill at the end of 6 foot long shaft. The only way to get to where the milling was going to happen was to use square attachment for R8 or tilt head. Even HAAS VF2 was not up to the job (part wouldn't fit) but I did it on Pro with ease.

I set all rapids to 450 IPM and 25 as acceleration.

Also I put a small rubber curtain with magnets on the head to protect linear guides of Z from the flying debris.

Get servo edition when u order yours !

zaebis,

Thanks for the detailed response....I was the classic X3 DIY'er...i had fun building it too. After the build was said and done, I really think I built it just because i wanted to build a machine. I've spent alot of my career on the larger Haas and Mori Seiki machines, so after I built the X3 and ran it for less then 20 hours(all the components are being sold off right now lol), it finally dawned on me that it was just a toy to me. I was blinded by the sheer excitment of building the mill!! If you want to take advantage of any high-speed toolpaths then yep...need more speed and balls!

On my NM200 I've had to retram the head a few times after "boo-boos" (i.e., running a tool into something). The mill has the same 2 bolt system, and the fact that it can move on impacts is probably a good thing to prevent severe damage.

definitely...I always liked that fact on the ProtoTrak Bridgeport retrofits