588,491 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Trouble with 2D Contour Path

Trouble with 2D Contour Path

I'm trying to machine a simple 2d contour of a heart shape into 360 Brass. I need to change the start/end location of the toolpath so that I can use Lead in/out without destroying the final product. Is this even possible? I've modeled the part in Solidworks, imported it into Mastercam as an IGES file, and then converted the model to solid (incase that makes a difference). Any ideas?

You are able to change the start point. what version of MC are you using?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Mastercam X

Right click on the Geomitry in the ops Mgr and then pick the chain and right click. from here there is an option of "Start point" this will give you the option for move to the next end point forward or back or Dynamic along your chain.

PS is good to state what version of X example. Mastercam X or Mastercam X-MR1 or Mastercam X2 and so on.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If you want to start at a point away from the chain you are cutting. You have to pick a point then the chain then turn start at point on in lead-in lead-out on. if it is a pocket pick the point first then the chain and it will start at the point automatically. I'm not sure if this is your question or what Jay told you to do.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Right click on the Geomitry in the ops Mgr and then pick the chain and right click. from here there is an option of "Start point" this will give you the option for move to the next end point forward or back or Dynamic along your chain.

PS is good to state what version of X example. Mastercam X or Mastercam X-MR1 or Mastercam X2 and so on.
    I'm using Mastercam X. When I do this the "start point" command is ghosted out. I failed to mention before that this is a selection of multiple 2d contours all in the same plane. My goal is to have the mill machine this contour in 20 different parts in the same setup, all starting and ending at the same location on each part. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of what I'm try to do when I get home (at work right now).

You go to each chain then and right click no each chain in the chain manager when you select on the geometry for that operation. Then at each chain you can change the start point. Also go into the lead in/out box and uncheck the start at midpoint and see ifthat helps as well.

chain direction?

Just a thought. Is the lead in/out leading from inside the surface, or in the part that you want to keep? If so, right click on the chain in the ops manager, and select reverse chain? Maybe this will help? Obviously, the tool will be cutting in the opposite direction, i.e., if you were climb cutting, it will then be a conventional cut, etc...