588,342 active members*
5,009 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Gang tool rack on the C6 (CAD Drawings)

Gang tool rack on the C6 (CAD Drawings)

Since I received my C6 my idea was to make some kind of toolholder for more than one tool, so I can do many operations without stoping the lathe. The idea is getting rid of the whole cross slide with the exception of its base.

This week I started taking some dimensions and modelled in a very basic way the relations between the tool table and the compound base.

Here are the CAD drawings:

General view of the model

Top view

Absolute maximum movement in the X axis is 95mm but I use only 90mm for safety reasons. In the top view I placed the toolholders at the maximum position a tool can have while being at the piece exact center. The center marks there are separated by 90mm.

The rod in the chuck is 40,30 & 20mm that way I can calculate how many tools can be put on the table for a certain work diameter.

Now, my question is, what would be the best aproach to have as many tools posible on the table with the minimum amount of work if a change is needed?

My idea is: have as many tools posible in one side and if more are needed allow the compound base to turn 180º (by hand) and complete with the tools on the other side. This way I can set all the tools before starting and run just 2 g-code sequences, one for front tools, make 180º and other for the oposite side.

Like this photo:

Do you guys have better ideas? My goal is to make the adapter the less expensive possible.

thanks

I can't offer any ideas as I don't know enough about lathes, but what you have posted certainly looks likes a good idea.

I was wondering about tool deflection with them sticking out so far.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

The boring bars in the model is something I did to show that these blocks were toolholders, if it works in a regular gang tool lathe it should work here too.

I want some feedback on the possible drawbacks in the design