587,158 active members*
2,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > bosch colt 1hp variable speed router

Question bosch colt 1hp variable speed router

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting my machine up and running. I plan on using a bosch colt 1hp variable speed router for cutting.

Just wondering if anyone has rough approximations of the actual speeds compared to the dial number settings on the router itself?

Also what are some general recommended speeds to be cutting at? MDF? Softwood? Hardwood?

thanks,

I don't have the speed information you are looking for, but one thing I can recommend is going to PreciseBits (website) and get their precision collet. Best money spent, you will have runout with the factory collet, I now have a backup reconditioned Colt and have replaced the brushes twice now in the original unit. It's been working well. PreciseBits website also has a lot of good information to help you with feeds and speeds. Precision Bosch-Colt Collet Kits

One thing i've noticed on the Bosh Colt, is it won't work with a electrical tool touch off, since the armature isn't grounded with the plastic body.

For wood, you would run it full rpm. Plastic about 1/2 to 3/4 depending on feed rate.

If you haven't purchased the Colt yet, you might want to do a little research on problems with the newer Colt routers. Some have reported bearing problems in that the bearing housing has been changed to plastic and can melt during long runs, bearing problems, etc. I do not own a Colt nor have ever run one. I am only repeating what I have read in other threads. Some have switched to the DeWalt 611 type routers with good success. Like I said, I have no experience with the Colts but others have recently.

Maybe someone with more direct experience can chime in here.

Don

I use the DeWalt 611 on my 3' x 4' machine because it has an easier to mount cylindrical aluminum housing and has a 1.25 Hp rating, It too has an electrically isolated bearing design. A touch-off plate will work with it but you have to attach a wire connection to the router bit or to the collet manually at each tool change. An alligator clip is what I use. Some here have devised ways to get around using the clip.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

the colt i bought over 3 years ago new...been sitting(along with my machine) ever since...

Quote Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post
    If you haven't purchased the Colt yet, you might want to do a little research on problems with the newer Colt routers. Some have reported bearing problems in that the bearing housing has been changed to plastic and can melt during long runs, bearing problems, etc. I do not own a Colt nor have ever run one. I am only repeating what I have read in other threads. Some have switched to the DeWalt 611 type routers with good success. Like I said, I have no experience with the Colts but others have recently.

Maybe someone with more direct experience can chime in here.

Don

Re: bosch colt 1hp variable speed router

seems PreciseBits has discontinued production of their collets.

Does anyone know where I can collets/nuts for it ?

1/4" 1/8" 1/16"

Re: bosch colt 1hp variable speed router

anyone tried a standard ER collet in their colt??