588,039 active members*
4,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach 3/4 have the ability to be retrofitted onto a CMM?

Mach 3/4 have the ability to be retrofitted onto a CMM?

Looking at older CMM's. Wondering if anyone has converted one with mach 3, and built wizards? It would have to be able to read the CMM scales im assuming and a touch probe? Anyone ever cross into this realm?

Re: Mach 3/4 have the ability to be retrofitted onto a CMM?

I might give this a try. As a theory, I’m essentially building a cnc router that uses a surface plate as the ways. I’ll then use Mach 3 to run it as a “mill,” but only use macros developed for part probing. By having G31 output the numbers as CSV, probably using a newly developed macro, it should transfer into excel where I can generate a report.

Not .00001 accuracy and intuitive programming like the real thing, but for maybe $1000, it can measure features that would normally call for something like a Sunnen bore gauge or expensive specialty tooling.

I have thought about this also, and yes, it's doable. You would have to use a interface card that is compatible with Mach3, will accept the encoder feedback from the CMM hardware, and communicate with Mach3 to display the actual position. I know Galil products will do this, Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog might also, as well as Mesa products. Personally, Galil is my favorite go to device for projects like this.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I have thought about this also, and yes, it's doable. You would have to use a interface card that is compatible with Mach3, will accept the encoder feedback from the CMM hardware, and communicate with Mach3 to display the actual position. I know Galil products will do this, Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog might also, as well as Mesa products. Personally, Galil is my favorite go to device for projects like this.
    I like what I see on the Galil website, and the fact that Mach3 has an organic add-on is appealing. It's a bit pricey it seems: $1000 for the card and $100 for the software versus $300 for a Dynomotion board.

Galil also seems to offer the drives and servos for another $800, but my pet-project just broke the $2000 mark, and I haven't even gotten to the actual machine yet.

EDIT: Mach4, not Mach3. I'm behind the times. Last I checked, Mach4 wasn't anything to bat an eye at.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderskunk View Post
    I like what I see on the Galil website, and the fact that Mach3 has an organic add-on is appealing. It's a bit pricey it seems: $1000 for the card and $100 for the software versus $300 for a Dynomotion board.

Galil also seems to offer the drives and servos for another $800, but my pet-project just broke the $2000 mark, and I haven't even gotten to the actual machine yet.

EDIT: Mach4, not Mach3. I'm behind the times. Last I checked, Mach4 wasn't anything to bat an eye at.

Nothing wrong with Dynomotion products, and they are well supported. I don't know if Mach supports encoder feedback from them, I'm sure someone else can answer that question.

You can find used Galil cards on EBay at reasonable prices, but watch what you buy, some of them are really old and not compatible with Mach products.

Galil motors and drives are expensive, there is an amazing number of drives and motors at reasonable prices DMM Tech and Automation Tech are two good sources in addition to the Delta units on EBay.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA