588,603 active members*
9,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Is there a better method to create this toolpath?

Is there a better method to create this toolpath?

I am creating a vacuum jig and need to machine out shallow grooves in a grid shape. I have been able to create a toolpath using the Contour function and selecting each contour entity one-by-one, but I find there is alot of overlapping in the toolpath were the cutter is just going to be machining air. Is there a better and more efficient method for me to do this?

In the image below it shows the area to be machined in black. The grid's groove are 1/4" wide and .060" deep.

Thanks,
    Carl :rainfro:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DoubleVac_Mach-Model.jpg  

I can't imagine anything being faster than contour...

I would guess you are using a 3/16 end mill ?

The only other thing would be to use a 1/4 EM and blast straight down the middle of each groove... You may have to create a few lines to make it work...

I assume you probably have a fair amount of tolerance and no finish requirement since it's just a jig, right ?

Beezer,
    Use contour then select ramp and use by depth for internal lines , comp off . This will create a rib type of cut Back and forth on the single line plunging at both ends, chain using single for each length of grid in the middle of this part. For the outside use ramp by depth for that contour.
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

I am actually using a 1/4" endmill and you are correct about no finish requirements nor tolerances being a factor. The grooves are strictly a passage way for the air (vacuum) to flow. The material is HDPE so it's very easy to machine.

Steve.... I will give that a try and see how it works out. I thought there might have been a way to use Pocket, selecting the area with the window and having it machine around the raised portions like they where and island. Guess I was hoping for it to be too simple. HEHE

The way I have the contours now will work fine, but when I verfied the toolpath I noticed that the cutter raises to the feed plane after each chain is complete. It would have been nice if I could have it move from one chain to the next in one fluid motion with the cutter staying down.

Oh well. It's just a jig. I can't get too fussy with it.

Thanks

Carl,
    area chaining will work for pocket but each segment would need to have an overlap that is trimmed together, resulting in overlap geometry. Confusing? Yes but possible. then leave rough off in pocket and used finish this will cut just the outside of the poctet at each location. or use the first way I wrote and connect in one single chain through out the pattern. little trickey but again I think possible.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor