588,457 active members*
5,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam X versus v9
Page 1 of 2 12

MasterCam X versus v9

Looked back a ways but couldn't find any comments about this. Went to the MCX introduction class at reseller, and was not impressed. We've had MCX since it first came out, but haven't been using that version because of not getting the posts converted correctly. We are on a network. Our computer tech couldn't get them working even with the reseller doing a remote. Reseller will be in next month to (hopefully) correct that problem, and to give some training.

We've been using MasterCam for years (and yes we keep a maintenance contract). There are 2 of us programmers using v9 daily for lathes. (Well...one guy daily. I prefer to manually program for the most part, but company has asked that I do all new programs in MasterCam.) A couple others use it occasionally for the mills. MCX seems like a step backwards to me. At least for lathes. Both of us lathe programmers have taken a dislike to MCX from what little we have used it.

Are we the only ones with this opinion? I'd like to hear from others that have extensive experience with both versions, not just MCX. I am new here, but it seems everyone else likes MCX from what I've read so far.

I thought a new version should not only offer more options, but should be easier to use, have previous problems corrected, etc. For me MCX just doesn't cut it. Maybe my opinion will change once we get more training, and I've had some time on it.

Right now I am considering drawing the parts with Inventor and importing into MCX as a better method than using MCX for creating the part.

I have had a lot of problems with mcx. The problems I am having are getting my defualts setup. As for mcx, I am very impressed with all the new high speed features. I have been using v9 for about 6 years and I am glad I am making the change for 9 to x2. I waited until x2 to make the change because I do not have the time to go through the first bugs. I think if you give it a chance you will like it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I haven't tried it since we updated to the latest version. Just watched a video from the above post. Hoping that once we get more training I will like it better. Don't think my company will appreciate me staying with v9 once MCX2 posts are updated correctly.

Edit: I have been using MC since v6. Maybe v5. Can't recall. Terrible to get old!

G-code Guy,
    Many of us felt the same way, without good instruction(somebody that knows how to set your system up correctly, on-site is the best way). It is good your reseller is coming in hopefully he know how to do this. If not this can be a very frustrating switching from 9 to X. Break away from the old start using the new it is much better once you get used to it . Easier only if you didn't know mastercam before. I find new users pick it up very quick us old users have habits that are hard to break.
    Let me know if I can help
    www.cad2cam.net
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

delete double post.

Thanks Steve. Old habits die hard. A fact that I am learning. I am use to typing, and using the mouse only when I have to. Typing is faster for me. MCX means I have to change how I do things.

What about us old farts the did it manually and then had to switch to that computer thing?????

I started manually programming. Prefer it as my programs are cleaner and easier to understand unless I spend a lot of time working on some of the operations to get the output to be what I want. I am getting faster at that, tho, since being asked to do all my new programs in MC. Some operations can be set with defaults to give what I want. Others require tweaking. Especially in the Lead In/Lead Out sections.

SDOPP,
    Hey who you calling old fart. I think I remember the days with no read outs and cross slides on the Bridgeport mills, I loved those days. wow I may be an old fart(I started really young, Thats it). I was the youngest at that time in the shop I worked in, they made me learn these computers to teach the rest of them. Now I teach anybody that will listen.
    www.cad2cam.net

g-codeguy Most of the key strocks are there in the X2 what version of MCX are you guys using?

Jimmy if you call me I can walk you thru your defaults easly.
    You still have my #?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    g-codeguy Most of the key strocks are there in the X2 what version of MCX are you guys using?
    We are using MCX2 MR1. I am not use to using the Tool Bars to create geometry. To create a horizonal line I type C, L, H, 'click'-'click', and type in my value. Doesn't work in MCX2. At least not for me.

in X2 and in MR1 of X2 (by the way download the Sp1 for X2mr1) just like all the X versions use "Alt" "C" "L" "E" then if you want hit "H" or "V" and if you set power keys on in the Auto curser you can use "E,M,I,O" and so on for say Endpoints mis points intersection.

I have been a key guy for years and a mastercam user for going on 20 years.

Hope this helps I find most are not shown so they fight it.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Steve

There is one thing you could help me with at the moment. I watched the "Lathe Flip" video. The screen changes from Y-X to D-Z when you picked the default lathe. It stays Y-X with both default lathes on my (and other lathe programmer's) system. I know where to make the change in v9, but can't find it in MCX. I thought it should be under "Settings", "Configure".

TO change it to D+ Z+ go to planes at the bottom of the screen.

(To create a horizonal line I type C, L, H, 'click'-'click', and type in my value.) I forgot this is in V9 and earler use Alt first just like any windows software to activate the key strokes try it in Word or internet explore and so on.
    Cadcam

in X2 and in MR1 of X2 (by the way download the Sp1 for X2mr1) just like all the X versions use "Alt" "C" "L" "E" then if you want hit "H" or "V" and if you set power keys on in the Auto curser you can use "E,M,I,O" and so on for say Endpoints mis points intersection.

Thanks a bunch, cadcam. Who said "ignorance is bliss"? Not me!

Toset planes through your machine so this comes up by default allthe time go to Machine def manager, edit general Machine Parameters click the c-plane, wcs,htc/vtl tap change the plane you would like to use for the machine and it will come-up this way everytime. +D Z.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arteman View Post
    Toset planes through your machine so this comes up by default allthe time go to Machine def manager, edit general Machine Parameters click the c-plane, wcs,htc/vtl tap change the plane you would like to use for the machine and it will come-up this way everytime. +D Z.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Got it. Thanks again. Have to pick a machine first. Looks like MCX2 will require me to do it for every lathe post processor. I've got about 24. :drowning: Did it once for v9 and done.

Is there by any chance one setting I can change to make all lathes D-Z with a single click?

"Alt" "C" gives me chooks. "Alt" "E" gives me the message "Either the DisplayList is off, or there are no entities on the screen." There weren't any entities. After clicking on "Lines", I was able to Enable power keys. Is this what I was supposed to do? Still don't see how to draw a horizontal line and then type in the X-axis coordinate like in v9.

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    "Alt" "C" gives me chooks. "Alt" "E" gives me the message "Either the DisplayList is off, or there are no entities on the screen." There weren't any entities. After clicking on "Lines", I was able to Enable power keys. Is this what I was supposed to do? Still don't see how to draw a horizontal line and then type in the X-axis coordinate like in v9.
    To use a function like CREATE LINE ENDPOINTS, you can press (AND RELEASE) the ALT key then C > L > E...

Note that when you press and release the ALT key the words like FILE, EDIT, CREATE, etc. (along the top of the screen) suddenly have a single letter underlined. This is a visual cue for you to know you can begin poking out some hotkeys.

Alternatively, ALT-C at the same time is supposed to give you c-hooks and ALT-E would be for "HIDE" which would require having something to hide

Here's a movie for creating horizontal lines BETTER than V9. Welcome to "live entities".

http://www.box.net/shared/kdak91jqpl

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Berube View Post
    To use a function like CREATE LINE ENDPOINTS, you can press (AND RELEASE) the ALT key then C > L > E...

Note that when you press and release the ALT key the words like FILE, EDIT, CREATE, etc. (along the top of the screen) suddenly have a single letter underlined. This is a visual cue for you to know you can begin poking out some hotkeys.

Alternatively, ALT-C at the same time is supposed to give you c-hooks and ALT-E would be for "HIDE" which would require having something to hide

Here's a movie for creating horizontal lines BETTER than V9. Welcome to "live entities".

http://www.box.net/shared/kdak91jqpl
    GREAT! Thanks. That's more like it. Guess I don't need tell you that I am computer illiterate. You figured that out when I didn't know how to use "Alt" key correctly.

I've got the "Getting Started" and "Mill" MCX books, but can't seem to get enough good information out of them. A new employee said they are made that way so the resellers can get you to come to their classes. They need the money.

Page 1 of 2 12