588,320 active members*
4,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM-135 and Flood coolant

NM-135 and Flood coolant

Is anyone using flood coolant with their NM-135 and if so any problems experienced.

I will be testing out flood coolant once my enclosure is finished and was wondering if anyone had experience problems with motors, electrics etc.

David

The drain in the NM135 pan is too small; I had to drill it out (it is 5/8" now, IIR). I also have an upside-down sieve placed over the drain to keep it from clogging.
    The nipple on the table: I also drilled it out, and connected a vinyl tube which drains out on top of the drain sieve. This nipple still clogs often, depending on the size of chips being produced.

I also make sure the ways are lubricated daily, since coolant can get everywhere and flush away lube. I've been running flood a couple of months now, Koolmist77, and had no issues with rust or electrical problems or anything else.

Thanks for the insight.

I will drill out the drain also and get a sieve to place over it (I assume it is just sitting there and you have not fixed it in anyway.

On my table (new NM-135) there is no nipple just a hole.

I have ordered some Syn-Kool coolant which is what Hoss has been using on his converted X2.

Having never used flood cooling before, it seems counter intuitive to pour fluid all over my nice new machine , but I will get use to it.

Thanks

David

David,

I actually use the Syn-Kool as a short term rust preventive on our clubs before they go to chromer. I also use it on my bridgeport at times with a squirt bottle and no rusting. I plan on using it on my NM-135 with flood.

That's good to know. Have you had any issues with it staining aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by David Da Costa View Post
    That's good to know. Have you had any issues with it staining aluminum?
    I don't work with aluminum a lot. Mostly 1018 carbon steel. But I haven't seen any staining on the little bit of aluminum I've worked with since going to it. I'm sure Hoss would have mentioned something if he had any issues with staining.

slater