588,548 active members*
5,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Quick Questions

1. I have a Dremel 4000 as my spindle for my 6" x 6" Cutting area desktop machine. The RPM ranges from 5000 to 35000. Just making sure, but should i buy 2 Flute endmills since the rpm is so high? Also, since Dremels only hold up to 1/8" shanks, i'm going to turn down the shanks on 1/4" bits using my 7x10 metal lathe (if it's even possible to cut carbide bits).

2. I have some NEMA 23 Stepper Motors that are rated at 3A, 1.8*/step. They are dual shaft with NO flats. they are cube shaped motors (2" x 2" x 2"), not those long rectangular shaped NEMA23s. Code: FL57STH56-3006B. Does anyone know the oz/inch for this stepper.

Thanks.

(* = Degree)
    A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

[QUOTE=AssassinXCV;962435]1. I have a Dremel 4000 as my spindle for my 6" x 6" Cutting area desktop machine. The RPM ranges from 5000 to 35000. Just making sure, but should i buy 2 Flute endmills since the rpm is so high? Also, since Dremels only hold up to 1/8" shanks, i'm going to turn down the shanks on 1/4" bits using my 7x10 metal lathe (if it's even possible to cut carbide bits).

[Well, you might be able to do that with a diamond or zirconium wheel in your toolpost grinder. But you'll probably lose concentricity, and mess up your lathe with the abrasive grit. Forget about this and get some 1/8" endmills. 2-flute endmills are good for the relatively soft materials you'll be cutting on that machine - not sure about the Dremel, though...]

2. I have some NEMA 23 Stepper Motors that are rated at 3A, 1.8*/step. They are dual shaft with NO flats. they are cube shaped motors (2" x 2" x 2"), not those long rectangular shaped NEMA23s. Code: FLS575TH56-3006B. Does anyone know the oz/inch for this stepper.

[Nope - got a brand name or anything? They sound too small to be 23-frame -are you sure they're not 17s? You can figure out the holding torque by hanging a weight on them with a string while they're energized, adding weight until they start to unwind.]

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

I did some quick searches and the one in the middle, that's extremely similar if not the same motor i have. I got the motors from my local electronics store.

Electromate Industrial Sales

Corrections: The motors are 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 2 1/4",

The mounting blocks are 2 3/4" x 2 3/4"

EDIT: found out model number was recorded wrong. Fixed it in first post.

Here we go, http://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=80M0022 <--- i have 3 of those stepper motors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SD531426resized.JPG   SD531427resized.JPG   SD531428resized.JPG  
    A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

Here's how my control box will be set up:
    I have two emergency stop buttons, one for the power to the whole thing, and the second is the one that EMC2 will read as an emergency stop command.

Does this seem like a good setup?

Found out the Steppers are rated at 9kg/cm .... so the conversion would:

9kg per cm) = 806.36277 oz per inch

Dang those are some strong motors

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
    Found out the Steppers are rated at 9kg/cm .... so the conversion would:

9kg per cm) = 806.36277 oz per inch

Dang those are some strong motors

Are you sure?

Isn't it more like 125 oz-in?

(a minor nit - it's "ounce inches", not "ounces per inch", and it's kg-cm, not kg/cm or kg per cm)

The other "are you sure" comment is "are you sure that you want two separate emergency stop buttons"?

If you need to trip the e-stop, you really ought to have to trip only one switch and not two switches to get it done. That one switch should kill power to the spindle as well as to the steppers, along with notifying EMC2.

Some e-stop switches have multiple independent contacts to permit switching multiple circuits simultaneously. If your e-stop has only one set of contacts, then you might want to investigate having it cut out a relay circuit (a "contactor") that can switch multiple circuits.

my emergency stop switch has 2 sets of terminals. One set is red and power can run through when the switch is up, the other one is green and power only flows when the button is pushed down and locked. When i read other threads, people said to wire both to one set of terminals (ie if the switch onto has one set total), and i was worried that having 24v+ going into the input ports would fry the board.

I never thought of that before, i guess it's good i have the two sets of terminals.

In EMC2 i'm pretty sure you can set to have when current flows through the inputs, that's when they're activated, so this should work out.

Thanks, that was the advice i needed.

EDIT: Hmm, it seems you are correct, google gave me: 9 (kg cm) = 124.986479 ounces inch