588,205 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Hobbiest CNC: question about chinese ebay system
Page 1 of 2 12

Hobbiest CNC: question about chinese ebay system

I've been putting together a list of affordable benchtop cnc systems, and I keep coming across this Chinese made 3D cnc router on ebay. I've been leaning towards a Zenbot 2424, and I'm getting closer to making the purchase. There isn't a lot out there on the Zenbot, but what is out there is reassuring. While I hate to be greedy, the ebay item appears to be a very nice system with better specs than the zenbot, for comparable money. His ebay reviews are good, but that doesn't track ownership satisfaction over time. Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, here's my list of affordable CNC systems so far (I removed PCnC and Sidewinder because of reliability/support issues). If you can think of others I should add to my list, let me know. Thanks!

• Fireball V90 = $599+ 12 x 18 x 3
      Base price is $599, but with some upgrades (larger enclosure, better stepper motors) and a mount for the Bosch Colt was $1,263.88
      Extras = laminate trimmer and mount ~$150
      S&H = ?

• Modular CNC = $850+ 12 x 11 x 4.5
      S&H = $78
      Extras = electronics

• Zenbot Mini CNC = $1010 6 x 8 x 2.75 (price includes dremel)
      S&H = $48.92 (to Michigan)

• Zenbot 1216 = $1250 12 x 16 x 4
      S&H = $58.08 (to Michigan)
      Bosch Colt = $100

• Zenbot 1624 = $1650 16 x 24 x 4
      S&H = $84.36 (to Michigan)
      Bosch Colt = $100

• Carvewright = $1800 14 x ? x 5.5
      S&H = $79

• Zenbot 2424 = $2050 24 x 24 x 4
      S&H = $102.15 (to Michigan)
      Bosch Colt = $100

• CNC Shark = $2500 13 x 24 x 4.5
      S&H = $45.95
      Extras = $100 trim router

• Mini Maxpath = $3000 18 x 22 x 6
      S&H = ?

• Romaxx HS-1 = $2500 12.1 x 19.6 x 3
      S&H = $99
      Extras = router/trim router, software ($$)

Couple of other guys I showed the ebay router to mentioned it had unsupported Y axis, which might cause flex. If that's true, then the CNC Shark Pro would similarly be subject to this flex, no? Same goes for all the other benchtop models, except the Romaxx. Any thoughts?

Matt Clara,

There is a CNC Zone member in Canada building several types of machines that are priced very reasonably.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92565

You might even decide to go up there to pick it up, you are not that far away.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Matt Clara,

There is a CNC Zone member in Canada building several types of machines that are priced very reasonably.

You might even decide to go up there to pick it up, you are not that far away.

Jeff...
    I looked at that thread--thanks--and find it confusing and not very reassuring. Almost like buying a chinese cnc on ebay--I'd be taking my chances. Also, I can't figure out if he's selling DIY kits or turnkey systems.

I have to say, this place is a whole lot less helpful than I thought it would be. Is there another forum I should be posting in?

Matt,

I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

A phone call would be more expeditious.

Please send me a P.M. with your number,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

matt as i understand it camaster is recieving the frames for the stinger in the next couple of days and shopbot i believe is showing the tyro at the jamboree on the 23 or 24th, if i was this close i would at least look, now that i have had a few machines and with all the exposure on forums (much more limited 3 years ago) i would look.

my reasoning is this if i found i could spend a little more and get 3-5 times the router it might be a good idea. i spent 2000.00 on a machine that after a few weeks became a garage ornament (good lesson) i hope i am expressing non bias (even though i am a camaster fan) by telling you of both models. this is one of those things were size, mass and inertia are a bit crucial.

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

I would get the Romax as its an excellent machine and made by a skilled machine shop. I would forget the DIY router as he hasn't figured it out yet and keeps changing his design. I had a deposit with him and opted to get my $ back for a 1200x1800 chinese router from Jinan Quick (which is on the way from china) . I have a friend who has the Maxpath and is happy with that as well. If you spend 4K Jinan quick has a very nice router (look at Rockets posts under chinese machines) ..or you can get the chinese machine and add your own controls here... John at Kellig also has an ok machine for 4K in chicago which has Ok reviews although the Jinan Quick is definitely built better ...

Sorry if I came off a little grouchy yesterday morn--frustrating morning. I appreciate what help has been given, and I'm in touch with George up in Canada about his machines.

Matt, I would reiterate that the George machines are not worked out and have tolerance issues. At this point I think its a big mistake to get one of his supported machines as people are not happy with his tolerances ...He just started to make these and they are not resolved. Before you send any money to him you should private message some people who have the machines to get their viewpoint. I don't mean to disparage anyone but facts are facts

Quote Originally Posted by cambridgecnc View Post
    Matt, I would reiterate that the George machines are not worked out and have tolerance issues. At this point I think its a big mistake to get one of his supported machines as people are not happy with his tolerances ...He just started to make these and they are not resolved. Before you send any money to him you should private message some people who have the machines to get their viewpoint. I don't mean to disparage anyone but facts are facts
    what is a george machine?

look at the DIY router thread on new product introductions

I was definitely going to do some more research before I purchased--thanks for the heads up.

Question

Matt Clara,

Did you mention what you would like to use the CNC machine for?

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Matt Clara,

Did you mention what you would like to use the CNC machine for?

Jeff...
    To begin with, production of ukulele parts, including necks, bridges, fretboards, and soundboards.

I just went through that whole thread again, and I'm not certain what "facts" you're referring to. I see one guy complaining about some missing parts and a back plate that isn't flat, and you complaining about a refund. From what I can tell, you never took shipment of your machine, have never seen one, and are working from anecdotes not available to me or anyone else on this forum. Now it looks like you're going out of your way to warn people away from George, whose machines you've never seen nor used.

03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
    cambridgecnc Join Date: Jan 2010

Well I chose Jinan quick. I liked their central lubrication system and the feedback here. My machine is loaded on the ship and is shipping on the second of april my forwarder tells me. They put wheels on the machine and painted it a custom color for me. I can write back when I get the machine but so far things have been great. I should say that one area the Chinese machines do not excel at (all brands) is the software. And I am adding a usbcnc controller to the machine here.... Other than that I would choose Jinan quick over Exitech for obvious reasons. Cheers

posted by cambridgecnc #50

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...064#post764064
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

matt

this is from post # 50 on one of the chinese router forums, if he can post a legitimate photo of his machine in a shop it would be a jinhan china machine, if not he is potential troll or a chinese salesman

Mat, Hey whats up!..anyways yes I put this out there so no one would have to go through what I did...so a few observations and obviously put your $ where you want it ...

- I gave G a deposit on a router which kept missing its shipping deadlines (in fact there are people still waiting on their machines who sent him $ in Jan )..I than decided to upgrade to his NSK machine which he promised delivery "in a few weeks". FYI he has still not delivered these machines. He kept breaking promises /etc and asked for my deposit back ..he refused and I had to put a claim in with paypal and raise a ruckus on this board to make that happen...

- No one has received one of his supported machines from what I can tell and are happy with them... the guy with the warped backplate machine also found out of tolerance side rails..this was last week...G has promised to fix this but I would at least wait until he does... also private message the guy who has the router that's warped and see what he thinks privately...

-during my whole interaction with G many people private messaged me ..many people have sent him $ and are being very very polite so they don't rock the boat and get their machines...why not private message these members: airbrush C.Des . They have had some concerns..(to put it mildly)

- So yeah obviously this guy G pissed me off and I have a temper..still facts are facts..it is clear to me that the first routers he ships are R&D projects..at least wait 6 months as I guarantee they will be different and worked out. It may seem like a bargain but not if your a Guinea pig with a subpar machine... its not a no brainer to make a router and it's obvious that they are not there yet..why not do some more research?

- I am getting my chinese machine in three weeks. It left port on April 2nd. G has still not delivered his NSK machines promised in February...

- Ok Im done...good luck

Im not a troll....if you PM I will send you my private email. The picture is my machine in the chinese shop. I am receiving my router in three weeks and will post pictures than..also I can email the paypal claim trail between G and I...god conspiracy theories anyone

Any other questions?

Here are the shipping docs from my router...theoretically will be here on the 2nd...like a chinese troll would use a dutch usbcnc board and rag on the chinese DSP software

SHIPPER JINAN QUICK CNC ROUTER CO.,LTD.
    LANXIANG MIDDLE ROAD,TIANQIAO INDUSTRY
    ZONE,JINAN,SHANDONG,P.R.CHINA
    TEL:+86-531-85707077 FAX:+86-531-85709177
    CONSIGNEE " CAMBRIDGE,MASS,USA"

PHONE

COMMODITY CNC ROUTER

PIECE COUNT 1

VOLUME CBM 9.67M3

WEIGHT KGS 900 KGS

PLACE OF RECEIPT QINGDAO

PORT OF LOADING QINGDAO

IS THIS A DIRECT VESSEL TO US? NO

IS THIS A TRANSSHIPMENT VESSEL AND IF SO, WHAT IS THE TRANSSHIPMENT PORT? NEW YORK

WHAT IS ETD FROM ORIGIN PORT MARCH, 31ST, 2010

IF TRANSSHIPMENT, WHAT IS ETD OF MOTHER VESSEL FROM TRANSSHIPMENT PORT

FEEDER VESSEL NAME NYK DEMETER

MOTHER VESSEL NAME NYK DEMETER

STEAMSHIP LINE

PORT OF DISCHARGE IN US BOSTON

ETA TO PORT OF DISCHARGE IN US APR 25,2010

PLACE OF DELIVERY IN US BOSTON

CONTAINER TYPE 40'HQ

CONTAINER NUMBER OOLU8656522

CONTAINER STUFFING LOCATION
    (name and address of physical location where the goods are stuffed into the container ) QINGDAO GRAND INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS CO.,LTD. ADD:WEI SI RD,QQCT,HUANGDAO
    DISTRICT QINGDAO ZP CODE:266500

CONSOLIDATOR(STUFFER) NAME AND ADDRESS
    (name and address of the party who stuffed the container or arranged for the stuffing of cont.) GLOBELINK-TRANS (TIANJIN) INT'L FORWARDING CO.,LTD. QINGDAO BRANCH.
    ADD:5F,INTER ROYAL MANSION NO.15 DONGHAI WEST RD,QINGDAO ZIP CODE:266091

MB/L NO OOLU3054287000

HB/L NO QQDBOS10030272

AMS SCAC CODE GLCA

AMS HB/L NO BOS10030272A

PAYMENT TERMS T/T

Page 1 of 2 12