588,500 active members*
5,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS 2003 VF1 Problem with reinstalling Drawbar clip on top - PICS

HAAS 2003 VF1 Problem with reinstalling Drawbar clip on top - PICS

I just got the limit switch fixed the other week and now this.

While manually releasing a tool holder from the spindle it shot out with some force while a 'pop' was heard followed by a few noises in the hood. The machine faulted out with a 130 tool unclamped fault.

Upon removal of the hood we found that the retaining clip on the top of the drawbar had snapped. We located another clip for it and upon trying to reinstall we ran across a problem.

It seems that we can not phisically push the spring and the round plate down far enough to place a new clip on. It does not have to go down that far .... maybe 1/2 inch. I just do not want to damage anything in trying to force it on.

What are we doing wrong?

Since the machine faulted out while removing a tool holder, is the drawbar in the wrong position at the moment?

I did try a search and found posts on people removing the drawbar but it seems that removing and replacing the clip seemed to be something easy and not really talked about.

I have posted 2 pics for reference. The first pic of what position the drawbar is currently located in. The second pic is from when we fixed the loose limit switch.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    -Walter

Remove the Tool Release Piston from the machine. Now you can remove the Bolt from the aluminium base. Have a look to the left hand screw on the bottom side and check the other snap rings.
    The drawbar is inside the spindle, so you can't see the position with the TR Piston on the machine. If you have remove the TRP check the retaining ring wich clamp the drawbar in the correctly position.
    I think on this way you can localize where your problems come out.
    With the TRP standing on a normaly table it's also a lot easier to push the spring and the round plate back on the bolt to install the snap ring.
    The most dangerous phrase in the language is:"we've always done it this way."

Just as germantec said - you should remove the TRP from the machine and work on it on a table.
    The reason that you cannot push it down far enough is because the piston part (the part underneith) is moving down when you push.
    What you need to do is put two small blocks on the table - then put the TRP on top - so that the weight of the TRP is on the centre part (the part underneith that moves up and down.
    Now, when you push down on the spring the shaft that sticks up will stay up and you should be able to compress the spring enough to get the clip on.
    Good practice for this is do not overstretch the circlip. If you do it will fall off again real soon.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, we were able to get it fixed.

I must say this forum is very informative and the users here are very helpful.

-Walter

in a pinch when you don't have time to take the whole thing apart here is what i do,

compress the spring in a vice and use zip ties to keep the spring compressed. after that just put the spring where it belongs and circlip the retaining ring back on. cut the zip ties and your good to go.