588,100 active members*
5,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > PM-25MV - Basic CNC Conversion

PM-25MV - Basic CNC Conversion

I've had my PM-25MV for about a year and a half now, being one of the early adopters, and have been using it as a fully manual machine as both a precision drill press and also to do some light machining. Since the day that I purchased it I've considered converting it to CNC. So recently I took the plunge, ordered Hoss's DVD to use as a starting point and got the process rolling. My plan is to do a very basic CNC conversion to start using the stock lead screws. With that in mind I used some of the information contained within Hoss's DVD to start designing my own motor mounts. Here's what I've come up with. Basically what I wanted was to provide some chip shedding ability while keeping the parts simple to machine since I plan on doing all of that by hand on the mill prior to taking it apart for conversion.

X-Axis

Y-Axis

Z-Axis

I plan on the conversion taking several months as I balance the need to occassional use the mill for other things and the inevitale life-related distractions.

Feel free to offer any comments, suggestions, lessons learned as a result of your own project, etc.

Thanks for looking,
    Nate

Nice looking mods Nate, that'll be one cool PM25.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks Hoss. And also thanks for taking the time to assemble and publish the wealth of information that you do on both your site and your DVD. As someone that would otherwise never have the time to do the research necessary to attempt a project like this I'm very grateful. :cheers:

Hi there n_maher.... I also used the stock screws of my machine for a bit and if you're going to use Mach as your platform the Backlash converter will give you good accuarcy. I have the Optimum BF20 and I didn't realise until this evening that the BF20, G0704 and the PM-25MV were all of the same family. Here's another link to a PM-25MV CNC conversion cnc_conversion

:cheers:
    Eoin

why not go very basic on the mounts? will make it much easier and quicker to produce and then once it is done you will have CNC ability to make more intricate mounts.

You can follow my build over here if your not already.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    why not go very basic on the mounts? will make it much easier and quicker to produce and then once it is done you will have CNC ability to make more intricate mounts.
    I think those mounts are pretty basic and will hopefully be fun to make by hand.