588,439 active members*
5,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

TOOL CHANGE PROBLEM AFTER CRASH

During a momentary lack of attention, I restarted a program not realizing that my Fanuc 0M-C was still in G84 tapping mode. The Z axis spindle did a rapid travel into a pine 4 X 4. The tap went through the drilled hole until the floating toolholder struck the top of the wood, and the Z axis stalled out. I'm lucky it wasn't a hunk of steel. After I cleared the alarm and positioned Z axis home (home/zero return indication light is on), I attempted a tool change. After many attempts, a tool change is not possible. The Z axis wants to continue to travel in a positive (up) direction. When the alarm appears and the machine movement stops, Z has traveled +.095". "NOT READY" flashes at the bottom of the display, the ready light goes off, but there are no alarms. There is an "OPERATOR MESSAGE NO. 2019". What does this mean? I can use the bypass and ready buttons with the hand wheel to release and clear this condition, but it happens every time I command M06. I tried to hold the [QP] and [CAN] buttons during NC start up, but no luck. I can sure use some help.

You may want to try Zero return on Z Axis then MDI mode
    G91 G30 Z0:
    Press cycle start, Z should go to ATC position
    then try call M6
    Ahn Vuong

Unhappy

No success, Ahn. After I got my home lights, from MDI I commande G91 G30 Z0.0; The Z axis traveled + 0.0966 inches and stopped, displaying "NOT READY" and gave an "OPERATOR MESSAGE NO. 2019" and "RELEASE EMERGENCY STOP CONDITIONS". I moved Z down with the hand wheel and cleared the faults. Do you have any more suggestions?

I am not quite sure, sorry
    sound like some how the control still remember the offset??
    did you turn machine completely off, then power on again?
    Ahn Vuong

Yes, I did. Both NC power and main power have been shut down. Knowing this, do you think I need to command a G80 to clear a canned cycle (the G84 tapping)? Can that be stored in memory with main power off?

I do think you need to do that
    Ahn Vuong

Ahn, no luck. After I turned on the power and got the home lights, from MDI I commanded G17 G20 G80. The command was accepted. Then, T02 M06. Yet again, Z went up .0963" from the home position, and the same message "2019" was displayed, along with the same "RELEASE EMERGENCY STOP CONDITIONS". Do you have any more ideas?

move the z axis below the home switch by 1 inch the start a tool change.
    Wayne Hill

I think you lost youre z home position ,when the z axis stopped the cuppling between the motor and the ballscrew slipped a little . You need to reestablish the z home position.

Here it is for a fanuc oi mate on a sharp 2412 this will give you a idea of what you need to do but use the one for your machine.

How to re-establish home position on “Z” axis Change parameter 1320 to 999999

Zero return Z
    If machine Zero return works change 1320 back to 2000
    If it does not work change parameter 1850 to 1000 and try again if necessary change in 1000 increments up 5000.
    If this does not work change to -1000 in one thousand increments.
    If parameter 1850 is changed, the tool change position must be set using the following procedure:
    With head at home position set machine position to 0 Use the MPG to move the head down approximately 4.00”
    Unplug the air supply and manually move the carousel in to check the alignment.
    Adjust the head using the MPG so the fingers align with the tool.
    Multiply the machine position X 25400, insert this number in parameter 1241.
    NOTE: After each change of parameter 1850 turn off the machine and re-start.
    Machine with Pulse coder Change parameter 1815 bit 4 to 0 (APZ)
    Line up index marks (Located on the side of the head)
    Turn off power
    Turn on power and change parameter 1815 bit 4 back to 1
    Turn off power
    Turn on power. (Zero return should work)
    Tim

No sir, that one does not work either. This time I specified a different tool (T03 M06) from 2.5000 inches away from the home position and the carousel stopped in mid motion when the fault occurred. I can't say alarm, because there is no alarm message displayed. The Z travel past the home position was +.0967. I even commanded a G80 again and got the same results listed in my previous posts.

Tim, I will try your suggestion in the morning. It's almost 11:30 PM, and I've been fighting this since 8:00. I WILL win, but first I gotta get some sleep. Please check back in the AM for my results. Thanks.

You had mentioned your machine with the OM-C control, which is your machine should be over 12 years old, I think at that time they don't use Absolute coder yet. (may be I am wrong?)
    The procedure Tim provided is good for the newer model, but the older machine may not work like that.
    Alarm 2019, I think is a machine alarm that is not control, should look into machine manual to see what that means.
    "NOT READY" flashes at the bottom of the display, it just means that the Z axis is hitting the + direction soft over travel.
    Is it posible somehow that your G30 position parameter get change?? also you should double check parameter #0000 and try to compare with your printout, some time operator may accidently change the parameter #0000 by mistake and he or she could not even know it got changed.
    Good luck and hope this work

Ahn Vuong
    [email protected]

You probably shifted your machine as Tim was refering to. However this needs to be adjusted via "Gridshift" parameter. I am not at work so I don't have the parameter book here. I will look it up tomorrow.

If your machine is traveling positive by .093" past were it should for the tool change then you need to do a gridshift in the negative direction. Your home position parmaters did not magicaly change and no special sequence of code in MDI mode is going to fix this.

Stevo

"Gridshift" parameter for Z Axis is #737 REF2Z
    Just in case if you need to know now
    Ahn Vuong

Ahn and Stevo,

Thanks for your response. It makes sense to me that I "shifted the grid" when the Z axis crashed. Since I can't do anything from MDI to correct the tool chande problem, I understand that a parameter change will be required. I am hesitent to do this on my own, because I have almost no knolwede of changing parameters. The only experience I have is configuring my machine to talk to Hyperterminal for data transfer, and Fanuc had to hold my hand through the whole process.

Once I establised communication with my PC, I backed up my parameters. Ahn, my parameter #737 looks like this:

N0737 P 00002800

What does this mean? Am I looking in the right place? I am really at a loss without some procedural information. I know how to enable PWE, and I can navigate through the parameters. What I don't know is what to do when I get there.

Here is something interesting I found in the machine inspection record. Parameter #737 was originally set to 00001500. This is crosed out with a pen a written next to it is 00002800, dated 8-10-2000. We can't know why it was adjusted, but now I have a feel for how to adjust it. I shouldn't just enter any number here, and I don't even know what these numbers mean. Are they milimeter amounts? Is there an implied decimal point, meaning 150 thousandths and 280 thousandths of an inch? Can or should this number be negitive? I apoligize for my ignorance, please understand I am very new to CNC machine tools. However, with every mistake (and there have been MANY!), I get just a little bit better.

Do you have a test bar you can put in the machine so you know how much to adjust? You need to first determine how much your machine has shifted. Let’s say as an example it is shifted +.093”. Now depending on your ballscrews if they are metric or inch will determine the value and the decimal placement. Most are metric.

Based off the numbers you have in there it is tuff to determine if it’s metric of inch. My guess would be metric because of it being rounded so nicely to 2800 which would be 2.8mm. If they are inch then the decimal placement is .xxxx so your 2800 would be .2800”.

So convert your .093” to mm (2.362mm). You now have to shift your machine negative this value. You already have +2.8mm in there so you would have to subtract the 2.8-2.362=.438. You enter this by typing 438 input.

If you don’t have a setup bar but you have a known tool length say to the table face you could use this to determine how much the machine has shifted.

Good luck, and welcome to the group
    Stevo

**(EDIT) check to see that you have the right parameter. I show the Gridshift parameters for your control as #507-#511. I have not looked to see what #737 is for.

Ok I looked it up in your book....#737 is your distance to 2nd reference position. Your reference positions are positions you can set up to specify an amount from machine home to another position. These are sometimes setup for tool change positions, tool offset positions ect. These are typically done if your tool change position is not the same as your machine home position. You will know this by looking at your tool change macro (if your machine uses one) and look for the G30P2Z0 code before changing tools.

If you did indeed shift the machine then adjusting the #737 is not the proper way to fix this. You can adjust #737 if this is your tool change position...then all will be well for your tool changing….but this ONLY changes your tool change position everything else is still off. Tool offsets, workoffsets, any tool probe positions ect. By doing a gridshift this will adjust everything.

Stevo

Thank you, Stevo. Ain't it a shame that I had to break this to learn how to fix it? The kind people at Fanuc tell me the following:
    Parameter 507=X gridshift amount
    Parameter 508=Y gridshift amount
    Parameter 509=Z gridshift amount
    Parameter 510=4th axis gridshift amount
    Parameter 737=2nd ref. point gridshift amount

Parameter 737 is the one I need to adjust. I don't have a test bar, but I do have several known tool lengths. I should be able to figure out how much the machine has moved. Also, I can measure from a fixed point on the machine table to the double arm tool changer groove and again from that same elevation to the tool holder groove when Z is home. The difference of these to measurements should be the value (probably in millimeters) to input into parameter 737. Sometime this afternoon I will give this a try. Please look for my post this evening

Stevo, in response to your statement, "...but this ONLY changes your tool change position everything else is still off. Tool offsets, workoffsets, any tool probe positions ect. By doing a gridshift this will adjust everything." I am still learning on this machine. If my work offsets and tool height offsets have changed, that is an easy fix. I can use more practice on assigning G43 (H__) values to my tools. The only work offset I have used so far is G54, for prototyping my first part creation. I can replace G54 any where an the table. No tool probe, so no worries there. I calibrate my tool height with one of those little battery operated light-up indicators. (A fantastic tool...much better and faster than my dial indicator!) Is there anything else I should be concerned about when altering parameter #737?

Page 1 of 2 12