588,202 active members*
3,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Parting case-hardened rods, what utensils to use?

Smile Parting case-hardened rods, what utensils to use?

Hello to all, this is my second post.

Have been working for almost 8 years on a CNC lathe (soon, when things at work will be less chaotic, to be a 5-axis mill operator), the machine's a "CMT, URSUS PLUS 250".
    Before I've always parted case-hardened rods with a cropper, can imagine what cloud of dust is around when I've to crop 32 pieces (Ø40 mm). Anyhoo, have not parted them with the lathe as have never had the right utensils to do so.

One can think: "in EIGHT years you've never upgraded yourself?!". Well, yes, as have only started from August this year to work PROPERLY with the new supervisors; now with these guys in charge I've finally the chance in choosing by myself the appropriate tools.
    To avoid having all that dust around, are there any utensils specifically designed to part surface-hardened rods?

Thanks to whoever will answer.

I'm not a lathe guy, but if you could find a parting tool that takes a ceramic insert you should be good to go.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Thanks for the advice, have Googled a bit but couldn't find anything, that's odd. Perhaps this operation isn't that common.

There is a insert called a cermit i have used them quite a few times for parting up to 60 hrc cased to about 2mm they work fine regards greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg b View Post
    There is a insert called a cermit i have used them quite a few times for parting up to 60 hrc cased to about 2mm they work fine regards greg
    D'you have the exact name of the insert and who made it -Sandvik, Hitachi, etc.-? My supervisor has asked one of them salesman but without much success.

Thanks for the reply though.

greenleaf makes a whisker ceramic that may just do the trick for you. I thinks it wg-300 or something like that!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

I found straight ceramic a bit to brittle the cermits i beleive are a ceramic and carbide mix they worked quite well for my application,i think they were a sanvic or a kennametal product i will have a look through the workshopn and try and find the exact name/number.Regards Greg

These Green leaf are Ceramic reinforced with Carbide. Have used them on inconel for grooving with good results. Just make sure you have sufficient RPM and rigidity in your setup!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Forget all that outerspace stuff and just use carbide. Wing the lathe up to as much RPMs that you feel is safe and go for it. The mistake most people make with parting tools is the don't feed the tool in fast enough. If you really stand on it you will see a little fire but the carbide will go through the case like cheese.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JROM View Post
    Forget all that outerspace stuff and just use carbide. Wing the lathe up to as much RPMs that you feel is safe and go for it. The mistake most people make with parting tools is the don't feed the tool in fast enough. If you really stand on it you will see a little fire but the carbide will go through the case like cheese.
    I've used one kind of insert designed for turning cast iron to work these case-hardened rods and they work wonderfully, like cutting butter... apart from the fire that comes with it.

I have tried with the usual parting insert but regardless the RPMs they still chip and cut terribly. It has also blocked the X-axis, stopping completely the lathe... and from that experience comes this post.

I don't want to ruin that machine, it may has its years and may not be modern like the new 24 axis (kidding) machines, but it really still works great. Plus, I've learned a lot thanks to all these YouTube and VideoGoogle vids and want to better myself more.

JROM - yeah right !

Deusrexmachina -
    You might want to try this ( used it for case hardened components and hard chomed bar )

Before parting off actually turn off the 'skin' using a 0.4R 35 deg turn tip (VNMG) in something like a TP300 grade ( SECO ) with this tool you can feed into the bar at 45 deg ( 0.02 per rev ) to just under case depth ( 0.3) turn along ( ie 3mm tip width ) then feed out 45 deg .

then call up part off tool and pt. off as per normal in the softer material.

have fun!

ST

Hi star-turn, and thanks for your reply. Sorry if I didn't answer right away, but work has been... pretty fulfilling, to say the least. Add the fact that I've also injured myself and had to stay home for 7 days; have fully recovered from that: simply a deep cut on my left hand's fourth finger. :nono:

Have found the right utensil, will type down it's code tomorrow. It's pretty good considering being only 2 mm wide.

'Nighto.

Quote Originally Posted by star-turn View Post
    JROM - yeah right !

Deusrexmachina -
    You might want to try this ( used it for case hardened components and hard chomed bar )

Before parting off actually turn off the 'skin' using a 0.4R 35 deg turn tip (VNMG) in something like a TP300 grade ( SECO ) with this tool you can feed into the bar at 45 deg ( 0.02 per rev ) to just under case depth ( 0.3) turn along ( ie 3mm tip width ) then feed out 45 deg .

then call up part off tool and pt. off as per normal in the softer material.

have fun!

ST

No worries.!

Look forward to hearing how it all goes