588,277 active members*
5,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spring Winding DIY ? How to

I just picked up a contract to design a complex spring bending machine.
    I have some idea about how to go, but I know some or you probably know a lot I could use.
    The springs are made from .024 inch stainless wire, twisted like an eyelet on a leader for fishing.
    I can build a turret machine with multiple stages, but know one of you must have seen a really novel design somewhere.
    I hate to reinvent the wheel, so I'll see if you can help.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Mark

I designed a spring winding machine about 18 years ago. Once I was done, never having seen one. I finaly saw one and it is amazing how close the 2 resembled each other. Warner Swazy made a ton of them at one time. Might be able to pick one up used. If not some of these programable controlers and some stepper motors or cylinders should cover it.

spring winder

Thank you for your reply.
    I have not yet been able to locate a winder made by that company.
    I think the multiple station approach you suggested is probably the way I'm going too.
    Thanks again,
    -Mark

just curious on how this turned out for you?
    this is something I am actually interested in doing and will be in the future.
    could you send me some pics of where you are, we could work together on this.

only the best,
    jdog

The designs were completed about 18 years ago at a company that now no longer exists. The original design allowed for the winder to make 2 different diameters of springs by changing only a face plate. The machine was never built. It was designed to wind about 4,000,000 spring per year. The original design was all mechanical, no PLC. I would do it now with a PLC because of the flexibility. The spring winder was to wind close to 8 springs that had a closed loop at both ends 6 transition coils. I still have the design in my head. I could probably come up with a concept dwg. Send me a print of your spring. Include overall dim. number of coils. Send the information to [email protected] I will do what I can to help.