586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    If we didn't push safety so much, the STUPID people out there wouldn't be around anymore to create all the liability and lawsuits! LOL

Mike
    Agreed. That's called natural selection and we are paying the price for it not being allowed to take its natural course.

However, you can't blame Haas or any other manufacture like miljnor did above. If you put yourself in their shoes, they are only covering their asses so they can continue to run a profitable business and supply us with the machines we need. How many wrongful death lawsuits do you think it would take to put a machine tool builder out of business? 2? 5? Then what? Do you really think all the rest of the MTBs would continue NOT putting door interlocks (etc.) on their machines after one of their competitors went out of business because of the same practice?

I know what you mean. It's just getting overboard. LOL All we can do is our best and deal with it I guess!

:cheers:

Mike

Well obviously the machine tools that have NO Enclosure can sell their tools at a profit. And a Tool room mill has no enclosure. So they made a random decision to muck something up that didn't need mucking with.

I know exactly why they did it and it doesn't have to do with law suites. It the European union has a certification process that requires it that way....so its cheaper to just make em all that way that not.

And yes I can blame them for it, as they have been selling since the early 90's without this asinine feature and now they NEED it? ya right.....There are always bully's looking to sue, the trick with that is to not cave and set up measures to circumvent the suites as much as possible (they never go away).

"Anyone who trades freedom for security, deserves neither freedom nor security" BF
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    And a Tool room mill has no enclosure.
    Not true any more.
    Greg

"Not true any more."
    Bummer for them, It always amazes me when people engineer and fix things that work and often work well because of safety issues.

When you jump out of an airplane its an implication that its not "safe" by any normal definition. But that being said in general the people doing it for a living or for a hobby are doing their best to be as safe as possible and still do what they love. Any other people that are morons or meddlers can go take a flying leap. no pun intended....(well ok it is)

Please don't save me from myself, because I really don't need saving! I think it would be a better use of time to revise the legal system. But hey if you think 1 person getting their hand ripped off for stupidity is too high a cost of 1 million people doing their jobs successfully without incident then you fit the above quote I mentioned earlier.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    Please don't save me from myself, because I really don't need saving! I think it would be a better use of time to revise the legal system.
    I agree with you 100%, however until the time comes (if ever...I have serious doubts) that the country wakes up to all the 'safety first' over thinking, machine builders are simply adapting to the current demands of OSHA (etc.) so they can continue to sell machines. It's that simple.

I'm waiting for the day when you have to have both hands on palm switches, be standing on a pressure sensitive pad 10 feet away from the machine and push a remote cycle start button with your nose to get the machine to move anywhere. And forget about hand jog, you have to program all your setup moves. Plus light curtains and door interlocks with their wiring sealed in welded steel tubing so you have to disassemble the machine to bypass them. Laugh all you want, but I bet it's closer than any of us think.

Like I said, I completely agree with your thinking for the most part. When I went through Marine Corps boot camp, drill instructors were still allowed to do pretty much anything they wanted, and I, as well as everybody else, got my ass kicked several times. Now, drill instructors are required to ask permission to touch any kid that needs his little uniform corrected...they're not even allowed to cuss anymore. It makes me sick that not even the Marine Corps can fight Mothers of America...and you think a machine tool builder is going to stand up to our government or OSHA??? Common man, that's not even close to being based in reality. And that is the way everything is heading.

Back on topic, I think wiring a simple and cheap SPDT toggle switch in place of the door switches would be the best way to bypass the door switch override problem. You can cycle the doors (toggle switch) during startup, then just leave the doors (switch) closed for the rest of the day. You have to be carefull with that though since a SMTC will be able to run at 100% with the doors physically open.

Ofcourse, if you harm yourself or others by doing this, you probably deserved it and it's not my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Back on topic, I think wiring a simple and cheap SPDT toggle switch in place of the door switches would be the best way to bypass the door switch override problem. You can cycle the doors (toggle switch) during startup, then just leave the doors (switch) closed for the rest of the day. You have to be carefull with that though since a SMTC will be able to run at 100% with the doors physically open.

Ofcourse, if you harm yourself or others by doing this, you probably deserved it and it's not my fault.
    DING! DING! DING! Cannot confirm nor deny that i have seen or done this:devious:

Quote Originally Posted by Black08Chally View Post
    Interesting, my VF4SS and VF2SS were late 2010 machines and it is there. Is there a setting 51 even??
    Thanks Again for your replies !!!

There no setting 51 or Common SW1 (parameter 57:16). UUUGGHHH
    If your friend the Haas Tech. has any info. I would really appriciate if he could help me with this.

Smile Solution for the new Haas door locks

Hi all,
    Well the only solution to this is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the door locks(2 on each door lock ), then cycle one of them in the morning, and you are good to go for the rest of the day. The locks will slide on the top of the doors,so a little teflon tape on the bottom of them , will keep the paint from getting rubbed off of the door.

Do not forget to replace the screws if you call in a Haas Tech. ( he will not work on the machine with the locks disabled).

Page 2 of 2 12