588,191 active members*
7,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Arrow

Arrow

Hi I am looking to buy an Arrow 500 machine. I am currently looking at a machine for £8500 but wanted a few opinions on these machines both with reliability and repeatability. Also is the back up good if it is required.

Thanks guys

arrow

hello i'll leave it to others to comment on the machines merits but i can offer you backup, spares etc for the machine. if you e-mail me the machine details
    ( serial number ) i'll see what i can find out about its history.
    regards
    mallardfizz
    ([email protected])

My company has an Arrow 500 and a 1000 and I just love them. When they work (90%) life is good. When they break I get to look good by fixing their haunted asses. As long as this duck character (mallard) lives you'll be OK because he is the real deal. Just beware of Siemens Servo cables, when they're bad they test good. Also, remember this term, bridge board.

Arrow

What kind of prices are we talking for control cards, spindle bearings. An arm and a leg or not so bad? Basically I need a good clean machine that wont be broke down 50% of the time. Also I'm a bit wary of the touch screen. How reliable are they?

Arrow

hello again phone me on the number i gave you to discuss prices etc. the touchscreen is NOT a problem. in the past 6 years i've only had to replace 1 and they are one of the cheapest items to replace. the KTI Board which controls the screen and keyboard (Keyboard Touchscreen Interface) can be a problem and costs £350 but the m achine can be used with a seperate keyboard and mouse instead of the KTI board you just need to buy ps2 extension cables ( about £1 each on e-bay). the other most common problems are the Realtime Motherboard and the Hard Drive. I replace the hard drive with a compact flash card when they go down and can also supply service exchange all other components. as Bob states the 'x' axis cables can pose a problem, the original grey cable goes brittle and breaks, also Cincinnati ignored the minimum bend requirement for the cable were it goes around the drag chain - BUT when replaced it wont happen again the replacement cable is much more flexible. it depends how old the machine is and what it has been machining - It DOESN'T happen on every machine. any other questions give me a ring.
    regards
    mallardfizz

Unhappy Re Arrow 500

I just had a read through some of the posts in the cincinnati section and came across something about 3d contour machining and a problem with the feedrate. I had intended to use the machine for contour work mostly so this would seem to be the incorrect choice of machine if the motors cant process the info and translate it to an actual position quick enough. If a control upgrade is needed it seems a different make of machine woulk dbe a better solution.

You mentioned touchscreen in one of your posts... the CT controller that is producing poor contouring results being discussed in another thread does not have a touchscreen. If you are talking about an Arrow with an A2100 controller, they are highly regarded and considered way ahead of their time.

Joe

Let me expand a bit for you. Here in North America (Canada), I've been CNC machining/programming as a Mold Maker since the early 80's. Most on Fadal's for VMC, but also Mazaks, Okuma's, mori Seki's. Due to 911, I kept getting laid off every 6-8 months.

So in Sept. of 2005, I bought a 19980 Arrow 500 w/A2100 controller. NEVER seen one or worked with it. Since then I've replace a spindle fan $70.00 Cnd. and a "cracked" cable for the tool changer and "popped" a fuse. Realtime board came loose. BUT THAT'S IT. Programming and operations have a few little "quarks" but seems like a solid machine and program.

I'm actually looking for a bigger one, say 1000+ to 1500 with options. Even without the support to get better, they seem pretty good in my books.

I WOULD RECOMMEND ONE.

John