587,888 active members*
3,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How's It Handle Steel?

Hello all you Tromach owners.

I have been interested in the Tormach Milling Machine since it's beginning. From what I have seen, it is a very capable and well designed machine. I never seem to get tired of watching the Tormach Videos especially the one of it cutting off the 1" Aluminum Bar in one pass. The Printed Circuit Board Video gives you an idea of how the High Speed Spindle attachment works. One thing I would like to see, is it machining Steel or possibly some Stainless Steel. Would any of you Tormach owners happen to have such a video or be willing to put your directors hat on and shoot one? Actually, I would be interested in watching any Video you might have of the Tormach Mill. I am saving, so hopefully someday soon I can order mine. Thank you for your time.

Willy

Willyb,
    I've just been "lurking & learning" but I stumbled onto this video which member MikeAber was kind enough to post.
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2724
    Hope this helps.

Willy,

While not steel.. it is a video of my Tormach cutting
    http://norcal-cobras.com/cnc/videos/cnc-bypass.wmv

David

Hi endo47

Thanks for letting me know about the Tormach Video submitted by MikeAber. Looks like the Tormach can handle Steel just fine. Never had a doubt. I watched his other two Videos and looked at the Pictures of his Stand. Looks good. Really like this Mill and got to start saving up for one. Thanks again.

Willy

Hi David

Thanks for your Video showing the machining of the LS6 Oil Bypass Cover. The Tormach did a very nice job, didn’t it? I am very impressed.

Questions: After machining the first side of the Covers and flipping over the material, how do you find the location of the Cover before starting on the second machining operation?

Did you purchase the Tormach Stand along with your Mill? If you did, how do you like it? I see you have installed a set of three Coolant Nozzles. Are you finding the Tormach Coolant Pump has enough volume for the extra two Nozzles? Or did you upgrade the Pump? I also like the idea of being able to use Compressed Air through your Coolant Nozzles. This is something I plan to do as well as sometimes you require Compressed Air to blow the swarf away like when machining Plastics, etc.

In an earlier post, you asked a question on my converting of a Mill to CNC. Yes I started converting a Square Column Mill but have decided to buy one instead. I may finish the conversion down the road.

Send more Videos when you get them.
    Take care.

Willy