588,686 active members*
5,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > HELP - How to service a hydraulic vice.

HELP - How to service a hydraulic vice.

I have a 2 ton hydraulic vice that has slowly been leaking oil over a number of months. Does anyone know how to service or add oil to these vices? It has two large grub screws in the end of the moving jaw, I think hydraulic fluid goes into one and is bled out the other but I am not sure.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

What type of vices do you have, is it with a crank and hydraulic power booster or with hydraulic pump ? Who made your vices ? I have experience with Allmatic and Fresmak vices,if it one of those maybe i can find some partslists for you.

It is Matohling brand and has a crank with hydraulic boost.

I do not know that brand, but the Fresmak vices work like this (simplified).
    When the jaw reaches the workpeace a small piston starts compressing the oil in
    a chamber that presses on a bigger piston that moves a rod that goes through the spindle, its most likely that one of the seals around the pistons are leaking and need to be replaced. If you´re lucky your vice uses standard seals, but i woldnt bet on it.

It shouldnt be too hard to do the repairs yourself.

I woluld try to find a reseller that carries spareparts and perhaps can help you with a speareparts list.

I really dont want to go pulling it apart, just want to re-oil it somehow. But thanks for all your help and information. At least I have a better understanding of how they operate. Cheers.