588,159 active members*
4,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Honeycomb for Universal M300 1' x 2'

I am tired of padding universal lasers pockets for this simple aluminum honeycomb. It's 1" thick and 1' x 2' in size. They charge $95.00 for the damn thing! Anyone know who has it already cut to size? Google searching yields no useful results.

McMaster-Carr has 12"x12" and 24"x24" sheets at 1" thickness. The cell size is 1".
    You could either get two 12" pieces or just find someone with a bandsaw to cut the 24" sheet for you.

McMaster-Carr

One of the laser refurbishing places I talked to (I think laserrepair.com) said many hobbiests use the square mesh light reflectors commonly placed over fluorescent light fixtures. These can be found very cheaply at any simple hardware store. Just get a new one when it gets worn out. The cell size is 1/2" so maybe it's too big for your needs? (They are really fun to chat with! Very helpful folks there!)

(Would it be crazy to consider cutting your own mesh out of, say, thin acrylic, and assembling it? )

I use an allen wrench to poke the debris through the honeycomb. Doing this here and there can help extend the life of the honeycomb.

(Ponoko is set up in our shared warehouse, and I've done a little bit of operating with them. I'm also working with fellow hobbiests to refurbish a salvage UL cutter from 1996, so I have modest experience at the high end as well as the low end.)

Kiki

we found that acrylic egg crate (the light diffuser works great), however it is not easy to find. The one you find at home depot is poly styrene and doesn't cut nicely. If interested please send me a pm as we will start having it in stock.

With that pin table, it looks like you would get reflection off the base, do you have any problems with that? What is the distance of the point of the pin to the table base?

No reflection as pins height is about 20 mm.

Try this, LaZer Cutting Grids -Laser Cutting Grids by En-Gravs, Vector cutting grids

I bought one and am very pleased. They will make custom sizes.

Another option: HoneyCommCore LLC / Home
    According to buildlog.net • View topic - Ryan's 1.0 Build they are willing to cut material to size.

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    Another option: HoneyCommCore LLC / Home
    According to buildlog.net • View topic - Ryan's 1.0 Build they are willing to cut material to size.
    Not sure this is the best idea. I used something similiar from Mcmastercarr and the aluminum was vey thin. Not much thicker than foil. So just ask them how thick the material is before you commit.