588,044 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > Cheapest and cleanest way to cut 1/4" G10? Waterjet? Laser?

Cheapest and cleanest way to cut 1/4" G10? Waterjet? Laser?

I am cutting a part out of a sheet of 1/4" black G10 from McMaster Carr.

I believe waterjet will be the cheapest way to cut out my prototype. But I am scared of delamination and a bad edge. Maybe some minor hand sanding will get rid of some of the small dimples or blowouts caused by a waterjet.

My other option would be to laser cut the G10. How bad will scorching be? Is there anything you can do to minimize scorching? Like adding nitrogen? If there is scorching, will sanding diminish the black finish on the G10? I don't want to sand it and have the black G10 turn to a greyish white finish on the edges.

And last and most expensive is to CNC cut it with a diamond tool. The setup costs are the highest in this situation. So I am looking for a cheaper way to produce this part.

Does anybody have any experience cutting this material with a waterjet or laser? What things can you do to ensure a clean edge?

Can anybody reccomend a company that can make my prototype using a cheaper method?

Here is a picture of my drawing. You see how many curves there are and the waterjet might have trouble with lagging on some of these inside radii.

http://www.iwdwebdesign.com/bbs/Inta...pacer-Half.jpg

Have you considered cutting it with carbide?
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Quote Originally Posted by lerman View Post
    Have you considered cutting it with carbide?
    Yes, but the setup costs are usually very high with all the companies I have submitted an RFQ to.

I am hoping to find a way to waterjet without delamination problems. Or to laser cut without scorching problems.

Thanks for the reponse.

I worked at a place where all we did was G10. We used carbide cutters but the tools were so dull after one cycle (about 1/2 hour), that they were thrown into the recylcing bin after one use.

Most shops do not like cutting such materials because the G10 is highly abrasive and will destroy the mill's ways and bearing surfaces quickly. The stuff doesn't really cut, it pulverizes like graphite and chalk so the powder either goes airborne, or it has to be run wet and contaminate the coolant tanks. When it gets into the coolant system, it tears up the seals in the coolant pumps.

I'd recommend the waterjet. I don't know how a laser would do.

What are it's intended uses....why G10 and why 1/4 inch thick?

Thanks for the reply. This is an older thread. I have since figured out the best and cleanest way to cut G10. But you need to use coolant with a diamond bit.

With waterjet, there is a chance of delamination if the company doesn't know what they are doing. But there are some companies that have figured out how to cut it without problems with a waterjet. It's just a little tricky.

And with laser cutting, it will scorch the edges. A masking layer might help, but laser sometimes gets a little expensive.

ViperTX, I am creating a new product using 1/4" G10. I can't go into detail at this time. I'm sorry.

Where I work now all we do is G10, G11 with milling machine, lathes using carbide tooling. also we use a water jet with very little problems with delamination. I have only been machining this kind of material for 1 year.
    We also cut all kinds of plastics.