588,617 active members*
4,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5 Intermitent not responding

Guy's
    I have been running my Series I Boss 5 some lately. I was doing a real simple drilling job, After about 6 hours running it quit responding. This is the longest I have ever ran it at one time, when I would restart the program. Some times if you hit the start switch 3 or 4 times it would run. I shut it down and reloaded the program and it would run once or twice and then not respond. I removed all 3 large boards and used an eraser on the contacts and it would run a couple of times and then nothing. After about an hour I gave up because even the axis would not jog. I started it up this morning and and it ran fine for the rest of the parts that I had, about 2 hours. I would seem to me that it is heat related. Where would I begin to look for the answer. Any suggestions?
    Thank you;
    Tim

Check all the fans. There is one beneath the logic boards. There are two behind the tape reader. And one on the back cabinet.
    Tell us if there is a difference.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,
    All 4 fans are working. I took the outer grill & filter off of the enclosure under the tape reader and put a box fan in front of it, I opened up the rear main power door and put a large volume blower in front of it. I was moving a lot of air through those cabinets. It ran longer than it did without the extra fans but it began doing the same thing as before only not as often. If I shut it down for an hour, I could get it to run for about 1.5 hours. It was warm in the garage today, about 73 deg.

There is one possibility that comes to mind but you may not like it. It may be a bad solder joint. How do you find it? Only by substitution. Even then, it may not be on a board.
    When it fails, is the ERR LED lit? Is there any other details you can give? Have you checked the logic voltages?
    Sounds like things are still heating up to a critical point but at a slower rate with the additional air flow. You may need to get a can of cold spray and start to use it on small areas at a time until you find the culprit.

George
    George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)