587,202 active members*
3,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SolidCAM and 64 bit

For now I'm not addressing the argument over the importance/advantages of running SolidWorks and SolidCAM as native 64 bit applications. I just like to keep computers, software, and operating systems somewhat up to date and 64 bit seems like a way to go.

SoldCAM it seems has been a bit slow about making themselves native 64 bit. At one point the SolidCAM tech support guy told me it was going to be next fall or maybe even next year. This was a major disappointment to me. After talking to him again they have come up with kind of a middle ground on this. Not a full solution but sounds good enough for me for now. Starting with R12 2008 the portion of the SolidCAM program that needs to connect with 64 bit SolidWorks will be able to do so. Later (R13 ??) they will be fully native 64 bit. I'm not an operating system guy so I'm not exactly sure what will be lacking until they become fully native 64 bit. Perhaps some high level memory usage will not be possible ??

At least I will be able to run my SolidCAM with my 64 bit XP and my 64 bit SolidWorks.

I look forward to a few comments from those of you that know more about operating systems and 64 bit than I do.

Hi Adam,

I'm currently looking at switching from 32bit to 64bit OS for our next purchase of workstations (2009 budget)

Have you any advise regarding your experience with your 64bit system?

Good? Bad? Amazing? Mistake? Indifferent?

Cheers
    Jon

x64 OS

I run a workstation with Tyan MB with dual Intel quadcore and 16Gb RAM. Grapics is a Quadro FX4500 with 512Mb. My misstake was installing Vista x64 and run SolidWorks 2008. The main issues in SW have been reduced with Vista SP1. Now I've SW 2009 also and it looks pretty stable but still not stable in the level of my old XP x64 or my laptop with XP x32.

SolidCAM 2008 (r12) runs on x64, and working good on XP but still have some graphic issues on Vista, especially on simulation. SolidCAM 2009 (beta) have same grapic problems and this is reported. Could be a driver issue, but latest nVidia drivers is loaded so we'll see what happening. My advice is to stay out of Vista on a CAD/CAM Workstation for as long you can.

Yes, and another thing. Still there is no actual gain with 8 processor cores as the software still have alot to catch up too. On x64 OS there are treads and processes running on different cores with 64-bit programs, but they still have to wait for each other to get the job done. The overall gain is not worth the extra money if you're not into Cosmos etc. Better to have less cores and high CPU-clock frequency.

/Piobaire

Wink

Piobaire

Thanks for the advice, it's as I thought, stay away from Vista!

I'm looking at Dell (corperate account) over any other manufacturer, with Intel Quadcore, but going with the Business Downgrade from Vista64 to XP64.

Cheers,
    Jon