587,960 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD- WJ200-022sf wiring question

VFD- WJ200-022sf wiring question

Before I shower my garage with sparks, I wanted to make sure my electrician and I set the VFD up properly. I have the Hitachi WJ200-002sf that calls for L1 - N - and chassis ground. I had the electrian install essentially a dryer plug, with L1 - L2 and the Ground. I intended to place L1 to either line, N to the additional Line and Ground as stated. Before I blow this beautiful VFD into the next state, is this correct or do I need to call the electrician again and fix my mistake. Thank you for your time!

Edit - Realizing that this problem was well documented in http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase-...ower-help.html so I am going to go grab a bite to eat and follow those instructions unless someone stops me in the forum beforehand. Sorry if I wasted anyones time. I love this forum and my CNC machine wouldn't exist without it!

Re: VFD- WJ200-022sf wiring question

According to my manual, page 2-18, you have it correct.

Talking Re: VFD- WJ200-022sf wiring question

I really appreciate the quick response. It's wired and I flipped the breaker to find its fan turns on and its ready for greatness. I hope turning it on and off via the breaker won't harm it in the long term but, again, thank you and mission success!!!!

My Pleasure !

Turning it on and off from the breaker won't hurt a thing.

you can visit our website to see wiring drawing help you connect wires. VC680 spindle inverter wiring drawing-Blog-iNVOEE,CNC Spindle VFD,CNC Special Inverter Manufacturer in China

Quote Originally Posted by JustinABobbitt View Post
    I really appreciate the quick response. It's wired and I flipped the breaker to find its fan turns on and its ready for greatness. I hope turning it on and off via the breaker won't harm it in the long term but, again, thank you and mission success!!!!
    Turning it on and off from a Breaker is ok but not a good practice ,( depending on the quality of the Breaker also ) a regular Breaker does not like this also, a Breaker is not a switch, most have this in there manual, manufactures usually specify how much time between turning them on / off, doing this in to short a run time shortens the life of the VFD, only ever turn the VFD off if it is already shut down and not under load, ( driving a Motor )

The run time before a shut down, manufactures' recommend a minimum of 15 minutes to 30 minutes between a shut down and start is normal
    Mactec54

Just about all of the VFD's I have installed recommend a contactor on the input supply in order to comply with motive power removal on E-stop, but all recommend that the contactor Not be used to stop start the VFD but used only in the case of emergency removal of power. Another option would be to use a aux contact on the contactor to input the VFD E-stop input.
    There is also a cautionary note in the WJ200 manual (xi) that covers the instances of what can occur if power failure during operation, especially if fed from a different source than the controller and VFD power is suddenly restored, it can cause continuation of motor operation..

One other advantage of the Hitachi and other high end VFD's, is the option of making the 24vdc PLC or inputs sink or source.
    This enables BOB's or other controllers that have solid state open collector outputs to be able to be input to the VFD directly, without the necessity of a relay.
    The Huanyang has inputs for sinking BOB's only etc such as the Gecko type G540 etc.which are open drain Mosfet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Just about all of the VFD's I have installed recommend a contactor on the input supply in order to comply with motive power removal on E-stop, but all recommend that the contactor Not be used to stop start the VFD but used only in the case of emergency removal of power. Another option would be to use a aux contact on the contactor to input the VFD E-stop input.
    There is also a cautionary note in the WJ200 manual (xi) that covers the instances of what can occur if power failure during operation, especially if fed from a different source than the controller and VFD power is suddenly restored, it can cause continuation of motor operation..

One other advantage of the Hitachi and other high end VFD's, is the option of making the 24vdc PLC or inputs sink or source.
    This enables BOB's or other controllers that have solid state open collector outputs to be able to be input to the VFD directly, without the necessity of a relay.
    The Huanyang has inputs for sinking BOB's only etc such as the Gecko type G540 etc.which are open drain Mosfet.
    Al.
    I agree with what you have posted, but you should know that there are very few Hobby guys that are doing this with there home build machines

Most would not even have a clue as to what you have posted, even with there manuals in front of them, that show diagrams of how it should be done

Not many even get close to how it should be done
    Mactec54

The idea of this forum is to educate, I see no point denying those that are interested in furthering their education, I think you are doing a vast number an injustice by painting them with a broad brush..
    There are many many posts on this forum on the subject of building electronic components and educating the neophyte.
    In fact the site Automation Direct which tend to cater to the Hobbyist put out a paper on the subject I touched on.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.