588,156 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Where to start ? point me in the right direction...

Where to start ? point me in the right direction...

I'm a cnc Machinist.. work in small job shop and program and set up what i need .. I would like to have at my disposal a machine that i could make what I want when I want.. I have ideas for stuff .. anyways i stumbled upon this web site and am very intrigued about the build your own cnc.. I have one problem.. where to start to learn what i need to so that i might decide to build one.. I can make what i need at work (g-job) if that be the case.. i just need to know about how to make it work .. motors, controllers interface and such... any info preferably in one place that i can read would be great.. i really just need a starting point.. any help would be nice and much appreciated...

thanks

Where to start - This web site
    Ask questions. There are lots if members here with the experience you are looking for.

What materials are you planning to machine?

Are you looking to build one from scratch or convert a standard machine?

What is your budget?

The journey begins....
    Wayne Hill

hello.
    i am an electric guy, so this part of the process is no prob. for me.
    my tough decision is weather to go with ball screws or acme.
    also to figure out what movement size i need.
    the movement size seems to dictate what size screws, bearings or rails, motor and
    motor drives are needed.
    so i have decided to find a good price on a used ball screw, pick some bearings to go with it and use this for whatever axis it will fit.
    then start again , find a screw .........
    my point is that i am starting with the screw piece. as it seems to be the most expensive.