587,790 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adding a cheap solidstate Laser onto my CNC machine?

Hello laser experts.

I have a small homemade CNC machine that works well and is quite precise, and as an electronics guy I often use it for CNC engraving front panels for electronics projects etc using a fine engraving bit.

On the internet in instructables etc I have seen people using a cheap solid state 1W or similar laser diode, to do some light engraving. I know this is very underpowered by "laser engraver" standards, but I already have the CNC machine and it would be very easy to add the small laser diode next to my router spindle. Ideally both could remain on the machine, so I could cut out a panel and laser engrave it in one job.

It does not need to engrave fast, just to do markings on front panels and dials, and maybe laser-mark fine print text on clear acrylic or black ABS plastic etc. It won't be used for production, just one-off hobby jobs so speed is not that important.

Does anyone have experience with using a cheap laser diode for doing this type of marking/engraving? I would appreciate feedback on what type of diode to purchase, where from, lenses and focusing, expected cost etc.

The electronic driver for the laser diode is not a problem, I have 35+ years of electronics experience.

I would have thought a man with 35+ years electronics knowledge would know how to bump up a cheap laser to engrave plastics or light ally.

As you have said the internet is full of street kids doing the conversion to these light powered lasers.

Google 'Tweakie' he has two types of laser mods

Quite a few instances on youtube but little detail.
    Have you looked at hackaday.com?. There was one guy doing this on the Home Shop Machinist forum, I'll see if I can find it.

Biggest problem you're likely to have is getting a 'high powered' laser device past Customs (high powered meaning anything over 1mw!)
    Regards
    Geoff

I'm with Henry...Tweaks is THE man for this kind of question

The man BUILDS RF controllers from his own design!! I struggle wiring a bloody plug!!

Have a look at his page (I'll edit this post and stick the URL up) and he's also one of the admins HERE

best wishes

Dave

Thank you everone for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by HorridHenry View Post
    I would have thought a man with 35+ years electronics knowledge would know how to bump up a cheap laser to engrave plastics or light ally.

As you have said the internet is full of street kids doing the conversion to these light powered lasers.
    Yeah I'm not worried about the technical side of the installation, but I was after people with experience, who had already done it ie; what colour laser, what power level, which lens to use and what speeds it will work at, where to buy it cheap etc.

To Hanalasertech (China) I'm not sure about price, maybe $100 for a laser and lens, I would prefer visible light (not InfraRed) for safety and being able to see it working.

Can you supply a 1W - 5W etc laser diode with lens for around $100? If so please post details, specs, photo etc and any information on how fast it will do laser marking (mm per second) on plastic panels. Thank you for your time!

Hi Roman,

PicEngraver added a diode laser to his CNC and has had sucessful results - this thread may be of interest My Laser Butterfly

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Can you supply a 1W - 5W etc laser diode with lens for around $100?
    If you have to import? get the vendor to mark the package 'Machine Parts' otherwise you will not get it through Aussie customs.

Tweakie! People have been saying you're the man to talk to!

Thanks for the link, I just read that and got the info to use a 445nm colour laser, and 1.1 amps is good info but it doesn't really tell me what the laser was originally specced as (500mW? 1W?) or lens type etc. I don't need to cut material with the laser as I have a good CNC machine and lots of fine cutting bits anyway, it's for marking fine print on panels, graduations on dials, maybe marking part numbers on pieces I make.

I'll keep searching (and asking around) and hopefully someone can steer me towards a vendor, or maybe Hanalasertech can provide a suggestion for the right type of laser.

Quote Originally Posted by HorridHenry View Post
    If you have to import? get the vendor to mark the package 'Machine Parts' otherwise you will not get it through Aussie customs.
    Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of asking for the package to be labelled "Super dangerous laser beam of doom for shooting down CIA spy satellites". However I think your suggestion is better.

A solid state laser barely capable of burning little lines in paper is probably not going to be too much of a problem, but seriously now thanks for reminding me and I'll check up on local regulations.

In the meantime if someone has actually strapped one of these little things to their CNC (and I'm surpised nobody has? Tweakie?) then please speak up!

5.6mm 445nm ~1W laser diode [M0020] - $51.99 : Modwerx Shop

You also need the laser diode driver circuit in the same link

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptw4MGTCl8g&feature=related"]How to build a cheap 1000mW+ blue laser - YouTube[/ame]

Hi Roman,

It was a couple of years back but I did try 150mW Tweakie.CNC - Low Power Lasers

I think the diode PicEngraver used was 1.5Watt but you need to search around for more details or else contact him - he is a nice guy and I am sure he will be pleased to help.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Roman,
    I am closely looking at your new adventure.. Don't forget to post electronics sketch for controlling that laser...
    Regards
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Roman,
    Size seems to be a controlling factor in importing lasers to Australia. Hand-held lasers i.e. battery powered laser pointers, will be seized. and you might end up with a fine - $110,000 or 3 times the value of the laser, which ever is largest
    Safest way is to get import permission as an end user. No cost but will take a few weeks. You can find details here.
    Regards
    Geoff

HorridHenry- Thank you for the link, that $50 diode looks like the trick, now i just need to find one complete with the lens assembly as that one still needs a lens and mounting. It looks like they have adjustable glass lenses on that website too.

Tweakie- I had actually seen your laser page in my travels, nice work there! Looking at your pictures of 150mW doing some fine wood marking that might even be enough power for me. Can you share details of the speeds you used when marking wood or other materials using 150mW? That might help me determine if I need more power.

Khalid- Hello, I wondered where you had been lately. Sure if I can get a nice little (legal) laser diode i'll share details on the setup and schematic.

Tumutbound, hi and thanks for the info although I am not sure that is right? If size is an issue why can hobby electronics outlets like Jaycar etc all sell laser pointers in Australia? It must be something to do with laser output power levels?

Anyway I don't want to buy a laser pointer, just a component. That is likely a different import class. Like the difference between buying a transformer or a stun gun. The transformer is quite legal but if someone assembles into a restricted device like a stun gun that's a different matter. All I'm after is a low power laser with a close range fine point lens so it can do fine detailed engraving, like I said for fine text marking on dials and panels.

As I said, hand held lasers are the issue. A 100W laser engraver will be no problem and you'll likely get away with importing laser diodes. One is too big to be hand held and the other is a not a working device as imported (you may be asked why though)
    The safest way is to contact Customs as mentioned in the document I linked, and get permission to import what you want. It wont cost anything, other than a little time, but will protect your goods from seizure and your self from a possible fine.

You have to remember that these rules are written by politicians which is why they make little sense.

Your right that you can buy laser pointers in Australia but different states have different requirements as to licensing and use. It'[s the Federal government that control importation.
    Regards
    Geoff

Roman,

I know this thread is a year old, but me and John (Picengraver) have came a long way in using laser diodes to do engravings. We are now varying the laser diodes power to get 8 bit 256 shades of grey. We are doing this instead of pulsing a dithered image to get the normal allusion of shades like with a CO2 laser. The detail we are achieving with this process is simply amazing. John has added new settings and image editing tools to his PicEngrave Pro 4 image to g-code program to enhance this very unique engraving process.

Here is a gallery of some of our laser diode engraving work. gallery

Lithophanes can now be produced using a laser diode on mirrors also instead of using translucent plastics. When engraved on a mirror using this process, the image is clearly visible on the front no matter if it is back lit or not. Corian does not give you this same effect.

If you contact Citrusguy and purchase his very reasonable standard version, he will fix you up with his Laser Edition. citrusguy | eBay

If interested on how myself, John and others are controlling the lasers power to achieve these excellent results, read through this CNC laser diode thread.

Diode Lasers. - Oldal 3 - Fórum

This is only a hobby for me. I have freely given the details of my analog modulation development to control the laser diode's power to achieve this very unique laser engraving process to anyone that is interested.

Here is a video where I used a 1W 445nm laser diode to engrave shades of grey on Birch Plywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGYtpW00I8