588,210 active members*
4,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bp Boss 6 Feed/rapid Programming

I finally have my series II boss 6 running but need to get some info on the feedrate/rapid travel.
    My mill will jog fine but at a very slow rate no matter where the overide
    reoststat is set.
    This is on all axis.
    Is there something i am missing in setting these rates?
    I have never ran a BP cnc so am not sure how to approach this problem.
    Also I notice that the z axis shows a positive move in the quill down travel.
    Any other machine I have ran z- is the quill or head travelling out or down.
    Also if I try to send z to home it travels down instead of up.
    I know these mills don,t rapid fast but mine is real slow.
    THANKS for the help

I used to run a boss 4 machine along time ago. They are slow, max feed rate in all axis is 32 ipm and rapid must have been about 75 ipm. Your z axis definitely has a problem though. In the boss 4 the axis drive motors were not servo motors with encoders, instead they used stepper motors with no feed back to the control of any kind. When the control issues a comand for an axis to move it sends a signal to that particular stepper motor and once the motor has made its move the control just assumes that the table or spindle got to it's destination and then issues it's next command. With that in mind it seems possible that your z axis motor could be wired backwards and as a result your spindle would move in the opposite direction. Home is definitely up.
    But I would advise that you check with a tech before you reverse the wiring to your motor. I think they are d.c. motors and this could possibly damage them. I am no tech but only offer this information to you the way it was explained to me when I was running these old dogs.

I hope this helps.

wrong direction

Dude,

It sounds like someone replaced the stepper motor, and didn't wire it correctly. (Don’t ask me what the correct wiring is) or there may be some kind of "mirror" switch in the cabinet, but i would think that would be for x or y axis, not the z axis.

Do yourself a favor, the first time that Boss breaks down, and you have to spend some bucks, Buy Mach3 software and some geckos, (or whatever drive you want to use) and dump that Boss. (thats what cnczone is all about)

I know a guy that spent years with a Boss, he would get halfway through a surfacing program, some transistors would fry, he would solder in new ones, reset zero datms, and continue on cutting. He had to solder every time he ran the machine. What a pain, but he had it down to a couple of hour science. (he hired me to retrofit his machine)

As cheap as Gecko's are, do it right! and don't piss around with that 30 year old, should be retired in a florida junk yard, Boss!

Want to make me laugh? tell me you have a boss that runs to perfection!

------------

As usual, this is my opinion, and I'm not always correct, but I have been around the block on cnc's, way to many times.

Good Luck,
    Buck