587,832 active members*
3,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4 Axis Rotary

So anyways we just bought a Haas VF3. We got a 4th axis rotary with it. So far we have not had a problem with normal contouring and stuff. But i cant figure out how to program the 4th axis. We are turning parts on the lathe and then putting them on the 4th axis and cutting 3 or 4 pockets in them. Also drilling a hole.

We have mastercam 9.1 Level 1. We are thinking about getting level 2 and 3.

Here is a part we are doing. Tell me what you guys think is the best method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Since this is the same feature in 3 different places it makes it very simple. Program it once from the top view. Then rotate all the toolpaths (Transform Toolpaths) at the correct angle (looks like 120 Degrees). When rotating the toolpaths, select the view for rotating to be the right view. This will rotate it around the part. Depending on how you program it, you will have the option to rotate by operation order or operation type. Select to Group NCI output by Operation type. This will program it so that it will rough in all three places, then come back and finish in all three places. This will post out code that incorporates the 4th axis. Make sure your post supports 4 axis. HTH

to program this being the flats on this part and have it index can be done with the level 3 , I will do it later after I teach class (Mastercam Class that is) this morning and post it back up here.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Smackre: It's all about setting tool planes and Cplanes. Its important that the X always points in the correct (same) direction. Otherwise it will think your trying to do a 5x positioning move.

If you really want to learn about all the different ways to do 4th axis indexing & contouring, visit my web site below. I have a training CD for V9 & X that explains them all in detail.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com