587,333 active members*
3,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dro on a rotary axis.

I have a non cnc machine i would like to add 2 rotary axis to. Right now the machine is a 3 axis machine with a dro on each axis. But i have no idea how to do a DRO on a rotary axis. This is for a bowling ball drilling machine. I can get exact positioning for drilling the holes but getting the right angle is imposable.

if anyone has any idea how to do a dro on a rotary axis please give me some info. Also if this is posted in the wrong section please move it. i had no idea which section it should go into.

You an use a Heidenhain ROD encoder to make a rotary encoder driven DRO - pricey but accurate to arc seconds.

You can also use some Red Lion counters and pulse generators to make a less expensive DRO. Depending on the gearing and count output, you should be able to get to 0.1 or 0.01 degree relatively inexpensively.

Here is a link for free DRO s/w using a PC parallel port, you should be able to use any single ended encoder, and it also has a scaler for 360° to use on a rotary indexer http://www.lindsayengraving.com/othe...rests/dro.html
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Rotary encoder

Sir,

I like the Red Lion readout along with an encoder from Encoder Products. I use both on my test bed machine. E#mail me for more info.

jccinc-at-owc-dot-net

Regards,
    Jack C.

Call me crazy but how about 2 of these things

http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?O...Select=Details

I have one and they are cool. Basicly works the same way as the digital calipers only it's rotary

b.

b,

I actually just bought one of these AND I LOVE IT, but only for my table saw. The lag time is too great to use for a DRO. I did use it to check the alignment of my rails and it was dead on. A very good tool, none the less.

Figured he was only asking about a digital read out ie not using the output to a program or computer. Or in other words manualy setting up something before drilling..

b.

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Figured he was only asking about a digital read out ie not using the output to a program or computer. Or in other words manualy setting up something before drilling..

b.
    Well, after pondering a little I think it could have a place on a mill. I'd say go for it.